No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Swedish Glass Factories: Production Catalogues, 1915-1960.  (Read 19013 times)

Offline Daniel S

• Members
Re: Swedish Glass Factories: Production Catalogues, 1915-1960.
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2009, 10:52:13 PM »
let me know exactly what you what you would like to know and I will try to help you.

IE the krakas are made as unique items with unique numbers as well in series, then with the same numbers, some of the reused numbers are 411,422,342,449, there are more.

Remember that the kraka production started 1944 and the last piece was made in the 80's. Therefor you will different signatures.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2009, 11:29:25 PM »
Daniel:

Thanks for offering to help. The question, for me at least, is what are the markings on the unique examples? I assumed that if the numbers were preceded by "Nr" it would be unique, that is pre-1960. However, my Kraka is marked exactly the same as the example posted on p. 169 of 'Glas in Schweden,"  also an, "Nr 322." See my photograph on previous post. Just looked at my other Kraka, which marked "Nr 52 C," which makes it, as I figure it out, from 1946-8. As it has no bubbles, it must be pre-1947.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Daniel S

• Members
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2009, 08:35:23 AM »
No or Nr is/means the same thing. 

YOu would expect all krakas to be signed something like this

ORRREFORS Kraka Nr/No/Pu/P 322 Sven Palmqvist

Those named Pu mostly seem to be from the series.

Your vase with the signature Nr 52 c is most likely not right. I dont think there was any letters ever used on the Krakas. POst a shoot and I might be able to tell.

Before Kraka got the name Kraka they went by the name Spetsgraal, which I have one of, its the 7th produced piece.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2009, 03:31:57 PM »
Daniel:

Thanks for the picture of the Spetsgraal piece, which I've never seen before. It's a very lovely and obviously unusual piece. I thought the defining characteristic of Kraka was the net pattern, hence the name.

When I read the inscription on the attached picture of my piece, it looks more like "Nr 526". When I look directly at the vase, however, it looks far more like "Nr 52 C". The fact that there are no bubbles made me believe it might be Nr 52.

What you say about the numbering system is the same as how i would understand what Ruding in "Orrefors" writes. The question I still have is what is the difference between the series, P or PU, and the No/NR pieces? Is it simply when they were made or are the Nr pieces unique?

Thanks again for helping me out.

David

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2009, 03:39:44 PM »
 :spls:

Lovely piece, unusual shape for a Kraka (I think) but it looks as if it reads "Nr 526" to me.

According to Nigel Benson (Glass of the '50s & '60s) p 20. The name Kraka comes

"...from a Nordic legend, in which a beautiful woman, Kraka, agrees to visit a Viking hero "neither dressed, nor undressed", and so she arrives draped in a fish net."

But I'm still confused as to what the numbers on the bottom of my vase mean, in terms of year of production!

I'll get an image, but it clearly reads;
Orrefors
Kraka Pu 322
Sven Palmquist
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2009, 04:39:59 PM »
Sue:

I'm pretty sure now that the number on my piece is 526, despite the absence of bubbles.

I think we're all pretty much agreed on your piece now. It was designed in 1954, but made 1960 or later. It's one of the most highly regarded Kraka pieces, being shown in Ricke's 'Glas in Schweden' among other books.

David

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2009, 04:47:43 PM »
I think we need Bill Geary to help . :thup:

Offline Daniel S

• Members
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2009, 04:52:20 PM »
YOur very beautiful kraka is signed 526, and thats with out any doubt.
Its made 1972 and its signed by a man named Liss/Lis/Liz, I dont know the exact spelling since I have only been told his name.

The bubbles or the lack of bubbles imo doesnt mean a thing.

I would say that the PU pieces mainly if not always are series production. But as you will see nothing is consistant and things differ.

The Kraka name/origin is described above is correct.

Offline taylog1

• Members
    • 1950's Scandinavian glass
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2009, 05:23:38 PM »
Daniel,

I've reattached pics of two trial kraka pieces for ref - signed 'Orrefors sweden P37 Sven Palmquist' and the other 'Orrefors sweden P40 Sven Palmquist'.

You can find another one and a description of them on page 168 of Glas in Schweden 1915 - 1960 ( Ricke and Gronert).

Gareth

Offline Daniel S

• Members
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2009, 07:18:15 PM »
Great pieces Gareth, I thought you just collected Gordon.

Any chance of seeing the signatures?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand