No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help With Identification Please.  (Read 4574 times)

Offline yvefinn

• Members
Help With Identification Please.
« on: October 31, 2005, 04:27:50 PM »
:D  :?:  Can anyone please tell me anything about these pieces, Ive tried to identify them for a long time but to no avail, thank you yvonne

This is a vase my mum bought me years ago, no one likes it except for me I think it is beautiful, I did think it could be Fenton but I have`nt seen anything quite like this, the vase is opalescent, appears to be milk glass,
would love your opinions on this, there is no makers mark on it.

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/finnigan31@btinternet.com/detail?.dir=2c47&.dnm=910d.jpg

This little scalloped bowl has leaves & pastel coloured tulips around it,
beautifully made, a quality piece I think, again no maker mark

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/finnigan31@btinternet.com/detail?.dir=2c47&.dnm=4333.jpg

I have several pieces that need Id, in any of the links you can go through the album that contains all glass, some I know some I don`t. I collect allsorts including glass-bit of a hoarder :oops:

Finally this Airdale terrier, very heavy large glass sculpture, so ugly it is beautiful :shock:   thought this would be Murano but can not find it anywhere
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/finnigan31@btinternet.com/detail?.dir=2c47&.dnm=2e12.jpg

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/finnigan31@btinternet.com/detail?.dir=2c47&.dnm=c8ec.jpg
vonne

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2005, 04:31:33 PM »
Hello Yvonne & Welcome
Thank you for taking the time to register and for giving your location.

Its best not to show too many items at once as responses can get confused.
There's no limit to the number of topics you can start (within reason !!!)

#1 Vase. I have something which is kind or similar-ish and have never found a maker for it but seeing yours I am thinking Italy (not Murano).

#2 Looks very recent which usually makers it a lot harder to ID as the books haven't been written yet ! BUT for this piece a possibility is Walther for Mikasa. Search ebay on Mikasa for similar.

#3 I love the dog !!!!
How big is it ?
Are you sure its an Airdale ?  :evil:  
I'm thinking Pirelli (London with connections to Scotland) because of the eyes but the collar looks a bit of a mess so could be China esp if very large.
Pete

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2005, 04:35:18 PM »
Hi Ivonne,
no ID's at all I am afraid, but these are my first ideas

bowl: either Walther Driburg or Japan

dog: China

what do our experts here say?
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline yvefinn

• Members
Thank you
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 04:42:26 PM »
:D  Thank you for your welcome Peter, thank you for your comments Pamela,   :D
vonne

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2005, 06:14:41 PM »

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2005, 06:35:12 PM »
A similar dog appears in Nigel Benson "glass of the '50's & '60's". Described as Murano and 26cm high. There are slight variations in shape to your dog and your's seems to lack a green bow tie.  :)
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

yvefinn1

Airdale???
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2005, 08:10:29 PM »
:D  Peter I don`t know if it is an Airdale??/ it could be a bearded terrier ??? what do you think it looks like?

It is about 26cms & very heavy. I intend to purchase this dog for my dog collection from my niece, she has offered it to me very cheaply but I want to be fair & said i would find out the maker which of course makes pricing much easier, I do not want a valuation i would just like to know the maker.
yvonne

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2005, 08:17:36 PM »
ok its huge
and not Pirelli ...Frank has spoken
and quite poss an Airdale ... I was only teasing ...hence the  :evil:
and looks very very much like the one Nigel Benson's book which is also 26cm.
So BINGO its Murano and well done Tiger !!!
Normally we don't discuss values here as they can change so much and so quickly and depends on where in the world you are and where you are selling or what purpose th valuation. BUT in this instance I think its fair to tell you that Nigel gives a value of £60-£70 which I have to say sounds about right to me going by the values fetched by the clowns on Ebay this past year.
Nigel does say that this can vary according to the quality of the workmanship and of course condition.
Pete

Offline yvefinn

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2005, 10:13:26 PM »
:D  Thanks for your replies, I will need to go find a copy of the book, Peter I really was`nt sure if it was an Airdale, Im more of a boxer person ( I have three), though I do like this dog. Sorry for sounding if i wanted a valuation I really did`nt,   :D  thanks again yvonne

P.S I think I will name him Fido Blue :lol:
vonne

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand