No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pirelli or Murano figures can you help please  (Read 6786 times)

Offline Pat

• Members
Pirelli or Murano figures can you help please
« on: November 02, 2005, 09:20:18 PM »
I have these two small glass pieces. The art deco style nude is approximately 4" tall and holding what appears to be a bunch of grapes. However I am not certain that these have been glued on to replace a broken hand. The octopus is small and I guess murano but may be wrong. Would love to find out about them.

Mod: Images gone, may be replaced at a later date.
No retreat, No surrender.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Re: Pirelli or Murano figures can you help please
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 10:30:58 PM »
Quote from: "Pat"
I have these two small glass pieces.

Hi Pat  :)  The nude figure is wonderful.  She seems so perfect and well balanced, are you sure her hand is glued?
I am not a man

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Tramonto.

Glass lady
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 10:41:29 PM »
Wow...the lady is lovely.  I think maybe you could be asking the same question as I was a few days ago about my art deco lady...that being...is this a Bimini lady?  I've definitely seen pics of Bimini pieces attached to stands similar to yours.  Does anyone else agree?

Tramonto

Offline Pat

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 11:21:04 PM »
Hi Max. No I am not sure her hand is glued but the grapes have been added and not very well. I'll see if I can get a close up pic of it tomorrow. But I agree she is lovely. My husband found her at a car boot sale some years ago for a few pence.

Anonymous

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2005, 02:27:39 AM »
Hi

I agree that the lady is probably Italian (and very elegant). The Octopus could be either Italian or Pirelli, there is still so much research going on, I lean towards Italian as well even though Pirelli did many 'sea creatures' - these tended to be all one shade. I could be wrong, the flat head and eyes look good for Pirelli (are the eyes just black and white, or is there a blue or brown layer as well)

These are pictures of Pirelli animals I just bought

Scottie Dog 3" long
http://publish.hometown.aol.co.uk/blackcatgla/images/d1.jpg

Donkey 2.4" long, 3" high (the larger of two, I will post other later)
http://publish.hometown.aol.co.uk/blackcatgla/images/don1.jpg

Bendy Cat 2.5" long, 3.2" high
http://publish.hometown.aol.co.uk/blackcatgla/images/c1.jpg

Onion Man 2.7" high (yet to be confirmed as Pirelli but bought from a Pirelli collector and I have seen one in past with a sticker on - a novelty item, I have Tweety Pie's large and small I also think are Pirelli, again I will post later)
http://publish.hometown.aol.co.uk/blackcatgla/images/on1.jpg

Hope this helps

Adam

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2005, 01:09:47 PM »
It always puzzles me how these lampwork figures and animals can be identified. They're obviously not all Murano as claimed on ebay. When I was a child, about 40 years ago, we went on holiday to Dunster in Somerset and one of the daily highlights was going to the village to see what the glass man was making. If I remember correctly he used to make small animals and figures, so I've always assumed it was quite a common craft when such things were fashionable. Christine

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2005, 01:25:06 PM »
Correct Christine and the only way of identifying a manufacturer is if the piece is both labelled AND consistent with other examples.

Pirelli is one example and lampwork figures are the only product they manufactured.

See http://www.ysartglass.com/Indexcat04.htm
and http://www.glassencyclopedia.com/pirelliglass.html

Since these articles have been up, more and more eBay people claim Murano or Pirelli - yet the 'glass man' in Dunster is just as likely a source for many of them.

I will be adding many more examples to my Pirelli pages and also pages of other animals to try and get identification.

Once a few hundred Pireli labelled examples have been catalogued it is just possible that we can then recognise some unlabelled pieces with 'reasonable' chance. I have examples which do match Pirelli adverts but are clearly not Pirelli for various reasons. Pirelli had 3 or 4 people making these which led to a consistency in style but there are also examples not in style too, just to cause confusion.

Japanese examples are also commonly found labelled.

Offline Pat

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2005, 01:50:21 PM »
I've taken the best pic I can of where the grapes go on to her hand. I do think it is right now although it's a bit messy but it is glass at the join.

http://tinypic.com/far485.jpg

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2005, 02:51:02 PM »
Quote from: "Lustrousstone"
It always puzzles me how these lampwork figures and animals can be identified. They're obviously not all Murano as claimed on ebay. When I was a child, about 40 years ago, we went on holiday to Dunster in Somerset and one of the daily highlights was going to the village to see what the glass man was making. If I remember correctly he used to make small animals and figures, so I've always assumed it was quite a common craft when such things were fashionable. Christine

You're absolutely correct. There is no way lampwork can be attributed to a single maker, unless it is labeled (like Zbs, Pirelli)  or documented (as is the case of Bimini).  The largest production of lampwork is still from Lauscha, Germany (of Xmas tree ornament fame), but try and get a single hit if you search E-bay.
I also agree that the technique is independent, it requires a few glass rods and a torch and the number of lampworkers is staggering. We too had a demonstration in our primary school back in 1960 - by a lampwork artist who was particularly talented at blowing swans.

Offline Pat

• Members
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2005, 03:12:15 PM »
Well whatever she is we just love her!! and will carry on enjoying her beauty indefinitely.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand