No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pirelli or Murano figures can you help please  (Read 6766 times)

Anonymous

Pirelli or Murano figures can you help please
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2005, 08:04:02 PM »
I totally agree with comments reference too quick an attribution to Pirelli or indeed Murano, on my trips to Milan I often see lamp-workers making animals by the Canal Region just down from Porta Genova - this is an antiques and collectables part of Milan so it makes sense

I think tentative attribution or putting up for examination while we wait for examples with actual labels as some say is all we can do, in this case scenario we can study similarities and look at any provenance - see Frank's excellent post

I will be adding many more examples to my Pirelli pages and also pages of other animals to try and get identification

In the case of the items I linked to - we know the Scottie is Pirelli as it is seen with the label on the website, I purchased about 15 other pieces with it from my source, a collector buyer called Elspeth based in the Barras area of Glasgow who assured me the woman who sold her all the items together (there where many more I did not buy) were all collected in her childhood and she remembered peeling the Pirelli labels off - a tall story? perhaps and it can never be taken as proof in place of an actual label, but what I did like was the similarity in all the pieces to the Scottie and elephants etc. here is the smaller donkey I was talking about

http://publish.hometown.aol.co.uk/blackcatgla/images/pird2.jpg

I cannot give it a 100% but there is enough there to give me say 80%, in this sense I should say I attribute to or ‘think is’ - I therefore also say apart from the Scottie in my previous listing I think the other pieces are probably Pirelli - this is how I would list on eBay rather than give a 100% to pump up sales beacuse of similarities

Adam

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Anonymous

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2005, 08:38:43 PM »
Just wanted to add that not having surfed eBay or other auction sites for a while, I see Pirelli with label or a good attribution is going for huge sums of money

birds

kingfisher

Guinness Toucan

mmmmmm

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2005, 10:46:01 PM »
The Guinness Toucans went for the right price, the others are just madness!

Two over eager buyers!

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2005, 11:54:57 PM »
Frank said:
Two over eager buyers!

Or perhaps just very keen bidders, with good reasons for paying more than other folk would bid? (Like me with some of my paperweight bids - if there is something that fills a gap or adds to the history ... the moths escape from my wallet  :!: )
KevinH

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2005, 11:58:41 PM »
True Kevin - but these will turn up again and again. The Toucans are fairly frequent though the second scarcest of the set but they have the Guinness market and that is BIG.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2005, 08:51:47 AM »
Ref the earlier discussion, another set of birds on a branch has shown up on eBay just days after that record breaking price - hopefully a few more sets turn up then everyone can have one :shock:  There are not many collecting Pirelli lampwork animals, probably <10, though the number seems to be growing.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand