No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: murano sommerso uranium pheasant -help please !!!  (Read 2991 times)

Offline buttonfluff

• Members
murano sommerso uranium pheasant -help please !!!
« on: November 12, 2009, 11:34:57 AM »
Just bought this nice bird it has aventurine inside the base and on head ,glows up bright green under uv can someone help me with identification,i hqave seen one on ebay at present but not stated as uranium..   is this a seguso piece  1930s?  if not who    many thanks 
xx ...Kerryn... xx

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: murano sommerso uranium pheasant -help please !!!
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 02:11:32 PM »
These types of pieces are often attributed to Barbini because of the tail. However, different glassmakers can do the same type of tail, so it's really not a good way to attribute. I don't know if Barbini worked much with uranium glass. Sometimes the face is helpful in pointing out who might be the maker. Can you get a close-up of the face?

It is a magnificent bird that is a type made in the 1950-60s. My first two guesses for it would be Salviati and Barbini. But when it comes to animals I am often surprised to find that my guesses are wrong.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 02:26:58 PM »
There is a similar bird at http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/rare-vintage-alfredo-barbini-murano-bird-of. If you enlarge the picture and click through the "Next" links, it will give a look at the label -- Barbini for Weil. That would date the bird to about 1960.  :thup:
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 02:50:35 PM »
I have seen these types of birds with a Camer label before so Barbini would be my first guess.  I have a Barbini paperweight that someone told me is made of uranium glass but I have yet to buy a blacklight to investigate this to find out if it is really uranium or not.  If I find out the answer is true I will post your back.

BTW, I really like your bird he is super!  

I also just found a Barbini on on Worthpoint with a label on it.  You can sort of see a Weil Ceramics label on it.  It does have the same kind of base as yours though.  

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/rare-vintage-alfredo-barbini-murano-bird-of

tam bam

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 02:52:04 PM »
Whoops,  I think Anita and I chimmed in about the same time.  LOL! :24:

tam bam

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 03:03:41 PM »
Didn't mean to scoop you, Tami. These types of birds were done with different decorations and poses, so I'm confident they were done by the same maker. It is nice to learn that Barbini worked with uranium glass. It isn't something that I associate with them. The bird has changed my way of thinking.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 03:08:08 PM »
Don't worry Anita.  This is what the forums are for to get opinions from everyone.  I have always respected your imput.  Always.  You are wayyyy more knowledgeable than I am when it comes to glass especially animals in glass.  Salviati would have been one of my guesses as well.  You know me.  I just like to have fun! ;D

tam bam

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 03:23:56 PM »
Found a pair on Ebay with a label for Weil Ceramics.  I bet these glow too.  Umm, I must go get that black light I wonder if some other pieces I have made by him for Weil Ceramics glows under it as well.  This is awesome news!

http://cgi.ebay.com/PAIR-OF-BARBINI-MURANO-BIRDS_W0QQitemZ250528680703QQcategoryZ994QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3907.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DSIC%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%252BDDSIC%26otn%3D20%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63

tam bam

Offline buttonfluff

• Members
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 03:57:59 PM »
so likely barbini then --i have seen other uranium barbini things like bowls on the web but no birds yet,i cant acess the prce guides on worthpoint to actually see how much they go for as i picked this up in a charity shop this morning for 16 pounds ,the barbini bases are deff the same as mine or similar as seen a few styles now thanks to your information and the black eyes.
I will still upload a close up pic of face (just charging camera) would it be possible to pass me any price guides from worthpoint if you can access it please?   this could well be my best find so far, im learning :)     thankyou so much
xx ...Kerryn... xx

Offline buttonfluff

• Members
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 04:15:33 PM »
 heres a picture of the face and a better pic of bird as still learning with my camera . It really looks greenish uranium in the main pic here too.    thanks
xx ...Kerryn... xx

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand