No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ebay Item 7361986430 - ID  (Read 5656 times)

Anonymous

Ebay Item 7361986430 - ID
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2005, 05:48:36 AM »
Hi Alison,

I agree, not Cambridge. I think all the Cambridge are here:

http://www.cambridgeglass.org/memberphotos/picfrogs.htm

They are beautifully detailed - Cambridge isn't called elegant for nothing.

Is there any chance of a better picture, showing some different angles? Maybe use a back sheet and a flood light to bring the details out.

Re Sowerby, see the bottom page, from 1956 catalogue.

http://www.bullworks.net/ffg/engpg/pgrod/pgrod.html

As for the price - it's probably about right for the Australian market. (The price is set by antiques shops and includes an importation cost!)

Cathy B.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2005, 05:49:48 AM »
The last guest was genuinely me. Who was the other guest?

Cathy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline thomasandkatherine

• Members
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2005, 06:17:47 AM »
Hello Cathy.  As for the penultimate guest, I cannot say.  Did I sound a little piqued regarding the question of value?  I was!

The Sowerby Lady is definitely different from this lady.  I have several of the Sowerby sets and, in my experience, they sell for significantly less than this uranium set.  She is shown on the Pressglas website as "unknown".  I understand that the Sowerby set was called "Flora" and that it was sold as a promotional item at one stage.  Have you also heard this

People have often quoted the book you refer to.  I have also found that it is very inaccurate, particularly in regard to this piece.

I will endeavour to get some better shots and post them.

Alison
Alison Robley, Australia

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2005, 10:32:47 AM »
I didn't realise how many similar looking lady's there are out there.  :)
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Anonymous

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2005, 09:09:02 PM »
I must apologise to thomasandkatherine, I did not realise it was your item, you were selling - ahhhhh :oops:

I thought as with so many posts it was questioning an eBay listing. I am sure you will get the price asked, as you say - you know your market, I hope you see I was only trying to help

I have to admit I got £100.000 for a lady figurine in frosted uranium glass - it was Czech but had a UK Rd No. which dated and gave it an attribution and UK importer ref the Rd No. It was Inwald I think, I posted it a while back but can't find it now.

You are correct about the ridged bases, I could not edit as a guest, I meant to say that ‘ridged appearance’ to the base or as you have explained stump (I was not meaning to question they are in fact sometimes called stumps, sorry if it sounded like that), which I am sure you will concede also acts as a frog unlike with some other pieces (ref my post), I have some Cambridge and you can feel slight bumps towards the top - the holes are so near the outer edge, I think they also did Scalloped bases to some figures.

Yes you are correct about the moulds being sold on - I cannot see the finishing in your eBay photo and it did look so like the green, in fact many of the ladies, in the Cambridge page at Black Poppy, the one at the back I linked is a dead ringer, but as you mention, Cambridge is very fine with few bubbles and mould lines very fine or ground down

Thing is so many companies either through the selling or passing on of moulds, or copying items with slight changes can make attribution a nightmare

Maybe if you can post a very clear picture of the figure as you state (I am sure the bowl is right still), Czech experts like Marcus will be bale to help

At least I helped by ruling out Cambridge :oops: LOL

I have looked at your eBay pic again and ref http://www.cambridgeglass.org/memberphotos/picfrogs.htm it looks like the ‘Green 8in Draped Lady on candleholder centerpiece’ – wow – I wonder if the Czech copy came after as there is definitely much similarity

It is a real brain teaser, I have pieces I know are Sowerby, Bagley or Jobling – then these really similar figures, centrepieces and mascots that have more bubbles, less fine finishing, when I ask for an attribution I usually get Czech, but only occasionally with a factory

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2005, 06:13:01 AM »
Hi there,

The Cambridge draped lady does resemble Alison's, but I think  that Alison's is seated whereas the draped lady is standing, and you can see both knees in Alison's, but not in the Cambridge.

That said, these beasties are devilishly difficult to photograph and it's quite hard to see the detail.

Cathy.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand