No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Advice please.  (Read 2720 times)

Offline jinnale

• Members
Advice please.
« on: January 07, 2006, 06:36:28 PM »
I bought a decanter as Whitefriars.... I have just posted a picture on the "is it Whitefriars "site.... It is extremely heavy... the stopper weighs as much as a glass paperweight. The base has a ground out pontil.... I was wondering ifanyone could point me in the direction of somewhere I could maybe compare pictures... or does anybody know of other makers reknown for making extremely heavy pieces... with ground pontils. I would appreciate any advice.... Thankyou

Mod: The images from this post have vanished. If you started this thread and you still have the pictures, please let the moderators know so that we can restore them. To add pictures to your posts permanently, the GMB recommends either using the 'attach' facility when posting, or using The Glass Gallery. See the GMB guide to adding pictures to your posts for more.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline jinnale

• Members
Advice please.
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2006, 06:55:56 PM »
Sos about that.... I just saw the sticky on pasting pictures... tho I have never done it before I am gonna have a go... I hope this works.
http://tinypic.com/jtnhax.jpg

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline jinnale

• Members
Advice please.
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2006, 06:57:06 PM »
Wahaaaay.... mebbee I am not a complete numptee after all. :D  :D  :D

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Advice please.
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2006, 07:13:07 PM »
does anybody know of other makers reknown for making extremely heavy pieces... with ground pontils.

Krosno, Poland ...I think some of their items have ground and polished pontils.
Dartington ...some of their items are quite heavy. My Dartington decanter weighs 1.2 Kg

How heavy is it ?
How tall ?
Pete

Offline jinnale

• Members
Advice please.
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2006, 08:27:38 PM »
Hi Peter.... It weighs 3lb 11oz and it is 11 inches tall. Thanks for answering. Jen :)

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Advice please.
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2006, 09:20:57 PM »
= 1.65Kg So not so very heavy for a large decanter
but the style does not look Dartington to me
So I'm still thinking Krosno or other Polish maker
or poss Scandi
or ............?
Pete

Offline jinnale

• Members
Advice please.
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2006, 10:51:52 PM »
Hi .... I guess what you are trying to say is that it's probably something and nothing really..... I wish I wasn't so naive sometimes..... maybe I will try to recoup my losses and auction it on-line...... that's twice I have done this in a fortnight Doh!! Thanks for your reply anyhow.... I stumbled across this board by clicking a link from the Whitefriars site and I have had a thoroughly enjoyable evening looking at all the beautiful and interesting stuff that other posters have put on this board. So I shall definately swish back....   :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand