No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Whitefriars Apple - probably  (Read 2781 times)

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Whitefriars Apple - probably
« on: December 29, 2005, 05:33:27 PM »
I bought this controlled bubble paperweight recently.   :D In fact I almost didn't buy it, but given my track record with paperweights, I went back to the shop and bought it just to be on the safe side!  :lol:   8)

I put it on the Whitefriars.com site, and Patrick feels it is Whitefriars...well...99.9% certain anyway - thanks Patrick for your help.   I'd still like to run it past Ray Annenburg, hopefully I'll catch up with him at a fair sometime.

It's 3" high, circular polished pontil mark and has slightly disrupted bubbles; ie, they're not perfectly controlled in a couple of places.

http://tinypic.com/jb09zo.jpg

http://tinypic.com/jb0bok.jpg  The base  :)
I am not a man

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2006, 03:05:18 PM »
A little bird tells me that if the bubbles continue to spiral upwards then quite possibly WF but if they appear to change direction then another maker is a distinct possibility.
Pete

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Sklounion

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2006, 09:14:50 AM »
Max,

Can I ask, this I take it does not appear in the WF pattern books?

My reason for asking, is that I have seen these elsewhere. Peter's comment is a  fair observation, that very accurate controlled bubbled techniques can indicate a particular company.

I am not saying for one moment that this is categorically not WF, but another serious candidate must be Harrachov.

Pattern ranges 15/2760 and 15/2764 were produced in blue and amber versions, but may well have appeared in other colours. Both examples shown on p84 of "275 Let Harrachovske Sklarny" (Crystalex, Novy Bor, 1987) are clear cased, but I have seen uncased examples.

Harrachov were a major manufacturer of controlled bubble glass, with designs by Metelak, from @1961, and much of the bud glass, supplied to importers such as Jaffe Rose, would have been made by Harrachov.

regards,

Marcus

Text © Marcus Newhall 2006

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2006, 12:30:38 PM »
You're right Marcus, there's a whole plethora of this type of apple out there, so it pays to be careful about attribution.

Patrick gave me a link http://www.whitefriarsorg.org//a2-information/information.htm  This will take you to a page which shows a colour photo of a Whitefriars apple, and if you scroll down a short way, to the catalogue entry titled 'Fruits' from the 1980's.

Marcus, would you know if the Harrachov apple paperweights have a circular, ground, polished pontil mark?  Many glass items are confused with Whitefriars due to that generally distinguishing mark, but I feel it's quite unusual on a paperweight...what do you think?

The colour is good on my apple...it seems a dead match for WF Sapphire in the light, then in reduced lighting conditions it seems to glow with a darker blue shade.  

I'm still waiting to hear back from Paul Annenberg.  :?
I am not a man

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand