No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: clear cased opal with asbestos applique - ID = Oldrich Lipa / Karlovarske sklo  (Read 12653 times)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Here is a low vase; its height is 9 diameter and its diameter is 12 cms (not quite 4" high and not quite 5" across) and it is thickwalled glass. The basic colour is opalescent encased in clear, and there is an  applique also done in clear cased opalescent with inclusion of natural asbestos fiber. The pontil mark has been ground out and polished.

I have another one in the collection which is somewhat different; The height is the same but the diameter is slightly less (9x9 cm) and the bottom has been polished flat. That one has been in my collection for more than 15 years.

Anyone come across these before?

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: clear cased opal with asbestos applique
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 08:00:48 PM »
Sorry Ivo I have nothing to add, but I just wanted to say I think this is absolutely gorgeous.  I have also been scouring hundreds of pics (thousands ???) recently re opaline/opalescent and not seen anything like this at all. 
m

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 08:21:32 PM »
Thanks.
Here is a picture of both pieces side by side.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 08:44:55 PM »
 :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I love white and opalescent (white only though) glass.

m

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 10:16:03 PM »
What gets me is the applied 'blobs' why are they there,it doesn't look like decoration, more for a practical reason,

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 10:44:33 PM »
doesn't look like decoration,

the largest one weighs 1.1 kilo - 2.1/2 pounds. So what sort of practical reason could there be?

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 01:13:46 AM »
Good question,you say the pontil is polished why go to the trouble and then leave the applied piece so rough?could they be some sort of liners?

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 07:09:10 AM »
Good question,you say the pontil is polished why go to the trouble and then leave the applied piece so rough?could they be some sort of liners?

the applique is done in clear cased opalescent glass - there is nothing rough about it.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 07:39:14 AM »
It's the asbestos threads inside the smooth prunts that make it look rough. It's artistic. Could it be a Dutch studio?

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 08:31:48 AM »
http://www.sharedutchdesign.nl/holland/glassdesign.htm

Hi Ivo

If you go to the links above and click on the names that come up, an example of their work comes up on the links.
I'm not sure if you'll find who you are looking for but there are some fabulous works on there  :) :mrgreen:

m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand