No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: clear cased opal with asbestos applique - ID = Oldrich Lipa / Karlovarske sklo  (Read 12694 times)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: clear cased opal with asbestos applique
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2009, 10:01:09 AM »
I am fairly well aware of the various studios working here but I have not seen anything like this in the last 15 years, and I've been keeping an eye open... I'd be very surprised if it turned out to be Dutch.  From the design I'd sooner think Skrdlovice, from the quality I would think Sweden or Italy... which does not make things easier.

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2009, 11:37:30 PM »
At a guess, could the difference in base finishes suggest that the polished flat base finished piece was possibly from a run in production, whereas the polished pontil example was more likely a test piece? You would bet quite a bit that these were designed by the same person. Asbestos was certainly used visibly in some Czech glass but as for elsewhere, is there much evidence for this? Also we could guess that most Asbestos use to have been discontinued far more than 15 years ago? The style of these pieces looks 1970's, would you agree? It is an interesting thread, I hope you get some information on this one!

bOBA

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2009, 11:47:45 PM »
Just came across this - ok, I appreciate not the same and perhaps not even hugely similar
but to my untrained eye  :) something vaguely having a connection perhaps?

http://www.great-glass.co.uk/library/lib1c.htm

no 6477 under Poschinger in the Library section.

m

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2009, 07:56:08 AM »
a trailed opaline bowl, possibly Ferdinand von Poschinger c 1900s
I can see an issue with this description. The attribution (if it is one) may be based on their line of glass with trailing and coral dots (circa 1930s) I have never come across Poschinger glass in solid cased opalescent (defo not opaline!) glass and the description is a bit evasive.  7209 next to it which is described as 1930s is from current production, by the way - so not too convincing either.

The shape, colour and contrasting trailing in the alleged Poschinger piece are quite close, so well spotted and thank you gracefully for this link.

I think you are correct and that the difference in bottom finish is due to the age of the piece. Having a completely polished bottom would be an expensive option, the polished out pontil mark a more efficient way of working.

Meanwhile, my in-house scientist informed me that the mineral fibers in the blob (see close up) may be Rutile - which is a Titanium oxide.  But whatever they are, I'm happy these fibers are encased. I thought Asbestos was banned a long time ago.

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2009, 08:19:02 AM »
I do not know much about opaque glass but according to Wiki:

"TiO2 is also an effective opacifier in powder form, where it is employed as a pigment to provide whiteness and opacity to products such as paints, coatings, plastics, papers, inks, foods, medicines (i.e. pills and tablets) as well as most toothpastes. Opacity is improved by optimal sizing of the titanium dioxide particles."

also,

"Titanium dioxide, particularly in the anatase form, is a photocatalyst under ultraviolet light. Recently it has been found that titanium dioxide, when spiked with nitrogen ions, or doped with metal oxide like tungsten trioxide, is also a photocatalyst under visible and UV light."

The opacity of the vase and how the whole thing looks under UV could be linked to the possible use of Titanium Oxide fibres .... may be worth a UV photo... just a thought ......

bOBA

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2009, 09:06:27 AM »
It is a fascinating subject - but I doubt if the fact that Rutile happens to be cristalline Titanium has any bearing on the opacity. Rutile is used because it is inert and can withstand glassworking temperatures without burning, where most materials would just disintegrate.  Semi-translucent Opal glass used to be made by using bone ash in the mix, and at some time (1920s?) it was replaced by arsenic and/or tin. Using Titanium Dioxide as a colorant results in milk glass - bright white, and fully opaque.

Leerdam used a lot of clear cased opal glass - but as you may be able to see from the picture of a Meijdam bottle vase from the 1960s, it is thinner - but that may be due to being blown out - it is 14" = 36 cms high..

I also dug up another piece - an opal tulip (9 1/2 cm, 3.3/4") which has so far escaped attribution. It has the same highly polished flat bottom as blob number one.

The UV test yields nothing.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2010, 10:44:55 AM »
I had a message from one of our members who pointed out the following auction:

http://cgi.ebay.nl/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390067136045

Now I have handled one of these about 20 years ago, on a flea market. The asking price was too high for me, and when I returned 5 minutes later I saw one of the high end dealers triumphantly carry it off.

The item at auction has almost identical measures as both of mine, except the blob is opaque black and there is one on either side. There is also a black foot added.

Of course I'm very tempted to think I have 2 high end Koloman Moser pieces made by Loetz in 1903 or so.  But why do these items not figure in any of the many books and catalogues on the subject?

The search continues and your input will be highly appreciated.

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2010, 01:18:09 PM »
Ivo,
some vague similarities with my bowl,
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,26443.0.html
Skrdlovice.
 ;)
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2010, 01:40:03 PM »
I see what you mean - but the inclusions in that bowl are glass, not mineral. Nice piece, though.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2010, 07:32:55 PM »
Ivo, I saw this and thought of your vase!  However having reread this thread, is this the one you were referring to?
Hope the link works.
You will need to scroll through the preview pictures and I think it is named as Loetz.

http://www.glassfairs.co.uk/preview-gallery-20thC.html

m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand