No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ysart - the dropped PY  (Read 1506 times)

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Ysart - the dropped PY
« on: November 19, 2009, 07:26:20 PM »

To be fair, the seller suggests a dodgy signature cane.  Does the cane in this paperweight confirm suspicions?

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline jamalpa36

• Members
Re: Ysart - the dropped PY
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 09:23:25 PM »
Hi

I had the same thought when I saw the centre of the individual cane in the second photo ????

Roy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 04:37:51 AM »
Here is what he refers too. http://www.ysartglass.com/Ysartnews/Ysartnews.htm a co;our image 'poor' of the weight included in the reproduction of that newsletter. Not sure if that is the actual one as I lost track of some of that batch, If it is, the quality is much higher than those produced later. I bought the first batch that appeared and the quality was as high as Paul's. Had they not gone crazy and used less capable makers after that batch we would never have known about the faking.

Offline w84it

• Members
    • Oxford UK
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 08:24:59 AM »
Whoever made it, it's a beautiful weight.   And I've noticed that the prices for these 'fakes' are getting closer to those for the real thing.  So £100 to start the auction seems cheapish to me.  Maybe Santa will be kind ...

Cheers

Keith
Weightforit   -  mad about marbries, crowns and swirls ...

Offline jamalpa36

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 11:41:47 AM »
Hi Frank

Just checked my copy of Ysart News and this weight is not the exact one shown on the front.

Roy

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 12:14:51 AM »
The weight on the cover (b&w) of the Ysartnews issue that Frank linked to is shown in colour in Frank's pages at: http://www.ysartglass.com/PaulYsart/PYfakes001.htm [PYfake003]. This clearly shows, as Roy has said, that this weight and the eBay one are different examples.

And I have only just noticed that in that page for the images of fakes 001-020, the text states "Appeared as cover picture on Ysartnews 5 ...", but it should be a reference to Ysartnews 4!!
KevinH

Offline daveweight

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 01:54:52 PM »
There were two batches of paperweights made with fake PY canes; the first batch appeared in 1988 and these were the ones with the dropped Y. The second batch appeared in 1992 and the initials were spaced apart but I have never seen one of this type come up for sale. I was wondring why and the only thinng I can think of is that as the P and Y and level perhaps people aren't recognising them as fakes so esily. Anyone got any comments on this ?
Dave

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 05:37:53 PM »
I think that the earlier examples, with better quality, can easily be thought to be ok, even with a "slipped Y" in the signature cane. Also, some of those earlier false "py" canes can appear to have the same colour for both letters and only close scrutiny will show the reality.

The later flase "py" canes, with the smaller and more balanced letters, usually show the colour difference in the letters more obviously, but some can be hard to spot. Although the general quality of the later batch is poorer, unless people have seen genuine PY weights, it can be easy to asume that they are really good. But in truth, they almost always show some element that looks a bit "iffy" for a maker like Paul Ysart.

I have seen maybe three other examples of the "roundels" design from the earlier batch and I think only one was for sale. A possible regular feature of the roundels (or cane group?) design in the non-Ysart examples is that the "py" cane is included as one of the roundel canes and as far as I know Paul Ysart never did that -if he added a signature cane within the design it would have been set discretely against a roundel (or group) or perhaps placed in the centre. (But don't quote me on that as being 100% true.)
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand