No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Scandinavian??? lobed vase  (Read 3365 times)

Offline kerry

• Members
Scandinavian??? lobed vase
« on: November 24, 2009, 01:32:18 PM »
Really like some help in identifying this - doesn't quite fit any of the Whitefriars patterns - so maybe its Scandi? :-\

Offline keith

• Members
Re: Scandinavian??? lobed vase
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 03:37:33 PM »
Probably wrong but I seem to remember seeing something similar by Kosta glass,Elis Bergh I think,please don't quote me,Keith

Offline kerry

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 11:19:18 PM »
Thanks so much Keith, Kerry.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 07:11:32 AM »
Keith:

Was the piece you saw by Ellis Bergh this colour? I'd expect an Ellis Bergh piece to be marked. I can't suggest an alternative, however.

Is the piece a solid grey? A bigger photo with a bit more exposure would help.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline kerry

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 08:51:17 AM »
Hi, the piece is cased, I will work on resizing the photo in about an hours time - bit tied up at moment - not real good with the tech stuff ::)

Offline kerry

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 10:37:02 AM »
Here are some better pics of the vase, I am working on getter some more better ones, will upload them as soon as they arrive.  Trying to figure this one out is making my brain hurt!  the vase weighs 1.9kg by the way.

Offline kerry

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 12:31:08 PM »
After doing a bit of research I think the vase might be Orrefors - any thoughts on who the designer is?

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 02:03:35 PM »
It looks typically 50's/60's Scandinavian. What suggested Orrefors to you? I'm not disagreeing, necessarily, but again Orrefors, and the other main suspects, are usually marked, and the lobed effect is unusual for Orrefors. I'd try some of the companies who did the brownish colour like this and usually marked their products with just a label, such as Aseda, Smalandshyttan, Sea Glasbruk.

Holmegaard did lobed pieces, but I would have expected Nick or one of the other Holmegaard experts to have identified it if it were by them, and, again, it would be marked. 

Good luck.

David

Offline kerry

• Members
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2009, 04:20:55 PM »
Thanks David, I will do some research on the names you have given me - might learn a bit too while I am doing it - its great to have somewhere to start from.

This is a link to a vase of a very similar size and weight that is on eBay - it is Orrefors....

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200260754480&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Cheers,
Kerry

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2009, 04:51:11 PM »
Kerry:

Thanks for passing that on and I do see the strong resemblance. Unfortunately, as with many eBay references, I'm not sure it's correct in its attribution. It's unmarked, also, I notice. I had a quick look through the Orrefors  section in Swedish Glass Factories and I couldn't see this piece.

David

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand