No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Scandinavian??? lobed vase  (Read 3366 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Re: Scandinavian??? lobed vase
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2009, 10:32:20 PM »
As David suggests, eBay is probably one of the worst places to pick up your attributions - especially if the pieces are not marked, as is the case with the vase in the eBay auction.

And, yup, Holmegaard can be discounted too.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2009, 12:34:33 AM »
David:
In regards to the Bergh piece it was a different colour if I remember right I was searching for optic ribbed vases,Eglund I think and came across the Bergh piece I'm afraid my 'data base consists of lots of bits of paper strewn all over my workstation covered in scribble so where I saw it I couldn't say,not well organised,sorry,Keith

Offline kerry

• Members
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2009, 01:05:00 AM »
Goodness me this  is such a hard one!  I am looking at the sellers other piece too - crystal etched vase - definitely vintage Orrefors as I can find heaps of them on the net attributed to them - quite distinctive and easy to ID.  She told me that she bought them from the same person together.  A tenous link I know but a little link to a Swedish connection...She describes the vase as grey...she lives too far away for me to actually go and inspect the piece before I buy it. K.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2009, 01:35:47 AM »
Kerry:

I've got a fair bit of Orrefors and it's all marked. Generally, I will buy unmarked pieces that I like but none have them have turned out be Orrefors. I think that the lobed vase well might be Swedish. In terms of buying the other piece, it might only be marked 'Of' and numbers. But, if you look at other threads on here, you'll find very nice engraved pieces that aren't marked and aren't Orrefors, particularly little birds. For me, it's if I like it, and how much I'm willing to pay for it. For example, I'd buy the lobed piece as I like the style and I haven't seen one like it before, but I'd limit my offer to the lower middle of my spending range.

Good luck.

David

PS Sorry Nic, I keep giving you a "k" at the end of your name.
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline kerry

• Members
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2009, 01:58:53 AM »
Thanks everyone so much for your help, I will buy it if the seller agrees on a reasonable price - it will be fun trying to discover its identity. I have attached a pic of the other vase I have assumed to be Orrefors, its quite a distinctive design so I think one pic will be enough, if not, let me kow - perhaps David or one of the other very helpful people on here could let me know for sure that it is -size is 15cmx11cm, crystal is very thick.  I am thinking of buying both - but unfortunately the flint vase has quite a bit of scratching inside, shame, Kerry.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2009, 02:14:33 AM »
Judging by the shape of the vase and the style of the engraving, I'd suggest Nils Landberg for Orrefors, early 1940's (the design, at least). I'd be very surprised it it wasn't marked, though.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand