No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Awesome Alabastro and Aqua (Blue/Green) Bowl  (Read 1474 times)

Offline horochar

• Members
Awesome Alabastro and Aqua (Blue/Green) Bowl
« on: December 01, 2009, 02:25:49 AM »
I was thrilled to acquire this large Murano bowl from an antique shop.  The seller sold it as a Cenedese piece, although I have my doubts.  It reminds me more of Archimede Seguso; I'd be happy to learn it was produced by either one of these two fine firms.  It is SO thick and heavy, more so than any Murano piece I've yet to own.  I'm assuming that this would be an early to mid 1950s piece, based on design and color.  Any information at all would be greatly appreciated.
Charles.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Re: Awesome Alabastro and Aqua (Blue/Green) Bowl
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 06:55:39 AM »
Charles:

Is it one solid colour or does it have an opalescent layer on the outside? How big and what it the weight? Base look and wear?

Just had a quick look through Pina's Seguso book and there's an opalino bowl with a very similar shade of green and shape. It's on p. 82. If you don't have a copy, let me know your email address and I'll email you a scan. Of course, that is if your does have that opalino exterior.

David

PS Just after I posted I noticed your heading so forget my question about opalino. It looks very like the Seguso piece in the book. Congratulations!
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline soledivo

• sir. or lord. your higness would be nice
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 10:13:45 PM »
this is one of those pieces that just has to be held,

I love the look of it  :hiclp:
martin

Offline horochar

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 02:46:57 AM »
It's about 6.5 inches wide and 3.5 inches tall, weighs probably about 4 pounds (I don't have a scale handy).  It does need to be held.  It is a "sensual" piece, if I may say.  Overall a successful effort.  I was surprised to see no examples anywhere on the net.  I'm guessing this is because it was a fairly limited production run, in part (maybe) because it is so much heavier than the run of the mill Murano piece.  Or maybe they didn't make it long due to a change in fashion; it has such a 1950s look to it, almost like a 1957 Chevy in a way, with aqua color and tail fins!  Anyhow, seems I'll now need to purchase the Pina book.  To see what it's "worth" (laugh, laugh).  I already own the fine Rosa Barovier book on Seguso.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand