No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: id please for sparkling orange dish  (Read 795 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
id please for sparkling orange dish
« on: November 25, 2009, 09:03:23 PM »
first I thought it might have been Alum Bay (because of the style of 'pinch' on the end points (I have an Alum Bay jip vase with a very similar pinch at the top point)  -  then I thought possibly modern Chinese  -  so now don't really know.    Very attractive sparkle to the inside  -  is it granules of foil perhaps??   base is ground and polished flat, with a fair amount of scratches, so maybe not made yesterday.  About 25.5 cms. long.   No. marks or labels.   Am I anywhere near being right, and thanks for looking.    Paul s.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
Re: id please for sparkling orange dish
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 12:47:34 AM »
The metallic inclusions and white base remind me of a 'Murano' piece I have,will post picture in the morning,see what you think,Keith

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 02:22:42 AM »
Paul:

I'm in the same two minds as you. It looks light for a Murano piece, but the aventurine sparkle doesn't seem Chinese. And it does have wear to the base, although I think we've been told that some pieces can age or be aged quite quickly.

If you promised me, say,  a beer for an answer, I'd say later Murano (1980's on).

David

My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 12:49:23 PM »
Here's the pic'

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 02:34:02 PM »
Both come (in an ideal world) with a large sticker on the bottom that says "Vetro Artistico Veneziano". Timewise I suspect it is seventies rather than eighties.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 07:59:20 PM »
my thanks to all of you for the help (especially Ivo).    In the sunshine it really is a 'sparkler', and although I'm not really a modern glass fan it is a nice piece.   I'll buy you the beer David for getting the right generic area.    I assume Keith is fortunate to still have the sticker on his piece.   cheers      Paul S.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand