No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ID help, pls! *VASE 4*  (Read 2385 times)

Offline Bonsaismurf

• Members
ID help, pls! *VASE 4*
« on: November 29, 2009, 01:51:44 PM »
Hi!

Here's a vase I picked up today. I was pretty sure I had seen it before as a Sklo Union piece (on the "sklo czech glass"-group on facebook) but I'm not so sure anymore that mine looks the same. It has a slightly rounded base that's polished flat, and it's unsigned. Can anyone ID it? I bought it for 11 euro so it's not the end of the world if it isn't Sklo...

Best Regards
Emil

Offline bOBA

• Members
Re: ID help, pls! Sklo Union? *VASE 4*
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 02:33:05 PM »
Hi Emil,
this seems a difficult vase to place at the moment. It has been described as Czech but the factory name has not been proven as yet. My vase I think was made by the same factory. Because of the fact they were hand made and the pattern on them was made with tongs it is quite possible the differences in the patterning are down to the hand made nature of the pieces. These vases are hot worked and blown and certainly not pressed glass of the Sklo Union type. The SU ones you have bought look like very good examples of that type of glass by major designers, good purchases for a decent Czech glass collection! I don't see those particular ones that often, there are others that seem far more common. I can also recommend the Sklo Union book by Marcus, it has plenty of excellent photographs and accurate information and research in it. It is uniquely useful on the subject of Czech pressed-moulded glass.

Sorry I cannot help more with these particular smoky vases. I do like them and they exhibit well. I hesitate to try and guess a factory without more evidence.

yours,

bOBA  

Offline Bonsaismurf

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 06:45:06 PM »
Hi Emil,
this seems a difficult vase to place at the moment. It has been described as Czech but the factory name has not been proven as yet. My vase I think was made by the same factory. Because of the fact they were hand made and the pattern on them was made with tongs it is quite possible the differences in the patterning are down to the hand made nature of the pieces. These vases are hot worked and blown and certainly not pressed glass of the Sklo Union type.

Heya bOBA!

Thanks for the input. I've seen several with the same tong pattern, both Kosta and Ã…seda made similar pieces as the Czech but the pattern seems to go much higher (closer to the rim) on the Czech. However, since I'm from Sweden I'm open for the possibility that this vase is a Swedish copy until I'm proven wrong :)

The SU ones you have bought look like very good examples of that type of glass by major designers, good purchases for a decent Czech glass collection! I don't see those particular ones that often, there are others that seem far more common. I can also recommend the Sklo Union book by Marcus, it has plenty of excellent photographs and accurate information and research in it. It is uniquely useful on the subject of Czech pressed-moulded glass.

Sorry I cannot help more with these particular smoky vases. I do like them and they exhibit well. I hesitate to try and guess a factory without more evidence.

yours,

bOBA  

Pppl are literally giving the pressed glass away here. It's impossible to find czech pressed glass (except art deco pieces) in antique stores in Sweden, you have to go to charity organisations that sells stuff given to them to find it! I've bought 18 vases, jardineres and ashtrays over the last two weeks and the most I've paid was 3 euro + shipping. I bought an ashtray for less than 1 euro and the most expensive vase was 4 euro (I bought a lemon coloured "lens vase" by Schrotter for less than 3 euro)! It's both sad and fun at the same time. It's sad because design wise these should cost (IMO) at least 15-20 euro, but fun because they're cheap!

Best regards
Emil

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 07:41:23 AM »
Emil:

I'm interested in the Kosta vase you've seen like this. Can you recall the model or designer? I've also seen a somewhat similar vase to this with a Magnor label on it, but not in grey. This looks more Czech to me. The prices you quote have got me planning a trip to Sweden.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 10:21:49 AM »
I remember the thread earlier in the year we participated in David, on some "Czech" hot worked vases, some being identified as similar to a vase referred to as the Börnevas by Borne Augustsson, Åseda and another was Magnor. Therefore I am not suprised you mention Magnor, a Scandinavian factory that produced hot worked designs, that was discussed in the same thread, amounting in all, to caution required in trying to identify unidentified hot worked "Czech" vases.

Now you have mentioned Magnor, I am even more hesitant about attribution of this one! Some Magnor pieces are very similar in style to some Czech hot worked pieces I have seen....... even the bottom finish is polished smooth in a similar way. I am becoming a bit of a fan of Magnor for that reason, quality hot worked glass! Perhaps this particular vase being bought as vintage in Sweden by Emil, should be telling us all something, coupled with the fact of your memory of a Magnor label!! I have seen this vase for sale in a green colour as well, both the smoke and green I have seen, though possible, would not perhaps have been the most likely Czech colours for me to have predicted and I am certainly happy to be persuaded towards Magnor as a possibility with a Swedish element from Emil, a remembered Magnor label ( coupled with the previous Magnor-Czech posts) and even the green colour vase I saw recently could have been a Magnor looking green... this seems to be gathering some direction.... perhaps ...

bOBA   

Offline Bonsaismurf

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 03:09:47 PM »
Emil:

I'm interested in the Kosta vase you've seen like this. Can you recall the model or designer? I've also seen a somewhat similar vase to this with a Magnor label on it, but not in grey. This looks more Czech to me. The prices you quote have got me planning a trip to Sweden.

David

The Kosta vase I've seen look just like the "Börnevas" but instead of the clear area (top third) above the tong marks the Kosta vase had tiny bubbles inside the glass (not bubbles as in flawed glass, but deliberate bubbles). Since I don't collect Kosta glass I only saw that it was signed "Kosta" but didn't care to remember the rest of the signature, the Börnevas or "generic" Kosta isn't expensive enough to forge either so I assume it was a genuine Kosta.

Your welcome btw, give me a call when you know when you're coming and we'll have an antique spree! ;)

Best Regards
Emil

Offline Bonsaismurf

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 03:10:42 PM »
I remember the thread earlier in the year we participated in David, on some "Czech" hot worked vases, some being identified as similar to a vase referred to as the Börnevas by Borne Augustsson, Åseda and another was Magnor. Therefore I am not suprised you mention Magnor, a Scandinavian factory that produced hot worked designs, that was discussed in the same thread, amounting in all, to caution required in trying to identify unidentified hot worked "Czech" vases.

Now you have mentioned Magnor, I am even more hesitant about attribution of this one! Some Magnor pieces are very similar in style to some Czech hot worked pieces I have seen....... even the bottom finish is polished smooth in a similar way. I am becoming a bit of a fan of Magnor for that reason, quality hot worked glass! Perhaps this particular vase being bought as vintage in Sweden by Emil, should be telling us all something, coupled with the fact of your memory of a Magnor label!! I have seen this vase for sale in a green colour as well, both the smoke and green I have seen, though possible, would not perhaps have been the most likely Czech colours for me to have predicted and I am certainly happy to be persuaded towards Magnor as a possibility with a Swedish element from Emil, a remembered Magnor label ( coupled with the previous Magnor-Czech posts) and even the green colour vase I saw recently could have been a Magnor looking green... this seems to be gathering some direction.... perhaps ...

bOBA   

...and I don't live far from the Norwegian border...

Best Regards
Emil

Offline Bonsaismurf

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 08:34:41 PM »
I just wanted to share a link to a Swedish forum and a thread that pertains to the "Börnevas" with lots of images:

http://precisensan.com/antikforum/showthread.php?t=19766

Best Regards
Emil

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2009, 09:15:58 PM »
Thanks for the great link. Very useful photographs, although I'll have to work on the translation for a while. The first picture (a blue vase) solved a puzzle for me. I ran across it in a store last week, but couldn't decide whether it was Czech of Swedish. The colour seemed wrong for Czech, and now I know. The seller wanted $90.00 for it, so I didn't buy it on the spot.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Bonsaismurf

• Members
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 09:30:19 PM »
Glad I could help! If there's anything specific you want translated just ask!

Best Regards
Emil

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand