No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Barbini Winged Vase--finally got a nice one!  (Read 6201 times)

Offline aslan7

• Members
Barbini Winged Vase--finally got a nice one!
« on: December 02, 2009, 03:57:43 PM »
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270488919872&ssPageName=ADME:L:COSI:US:1123

It's probably not a big deal for you experts, and I probably overpaid, but I finally got a good a really nice example of the Barbini "Winged Vase" (see above). It is a great design and I love the green-amber color combination. It is supposedly mint and clearly has the Weil label which is very nice. Are these common? I have seen a few around but they have been chewed up a bit and the colors for me were objectionable, as in pink, and also expensive. Could not resist the temptation to show this around. Regards, rt

Offline tam bam

• Members
Re: Barbini Winged Vase--finally got a nice one!
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 08:48:18 PM »
Aslan, I personally don't think you over paid for it.  Of course, I love Barbini's Weil Ceramics pieces and I am also willing to over pay as well but I have seen people try to sell them for a lot higher on other sites.  I am not sure what the book value is on this particular vase but I think you will enjoy it for years to come.  Congrats!   :hiclp:

P.S. These pieces are getting harder to find with the labels still in good condition and without any damage.  I think you have a nice example. 

tam bam

Offline aslan7

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 08:56:00 PM »
Thanks--I have the perfect place to put it and love the well crafted, massive feel as well as the design. This marks a departure from my usual bird figures. rt

Offline soledivo

• sir. or lord. your higness would be nice
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 10:06:20 PM »
thats a beauty, lovely clean lines,
with a good clear label, tam bam said it all, congratz lovely piece  :hiclp: :chky:
martin

Offline aslan7

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 10:15:32 PM »
I know the label is important but is there any harm in detaching it and placing it on the underside of the base? I am placing it in the middle of the dining room table so it doesn't look very good, at least to people who don't collect glass. It is nice to use these basically utilitarian things carefully, and not stash them away as museum pieces.

Next I would like to get one of those Barbini seashells which would make an interesting contrast with Flygsfors Coquille pieces. There I would have no problem retaining the label. rt

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 11:41:41 PM »
Not to tell you what to do with your lovely piece of Barbini glass but usually when you detach an old label or any label (in particular an old label from the 1960's) the label then becomes damaged.  I know it is not that attractive but this authenticates the piece but that is just me. 

I have a swan with the Weil Ceramics label and it is not in a good place but I know once I remove it and place it on the underside it will damage the fine label.  I don't know why the Weil Ceramics labels are in such visible places but I am sure that is why you see a lot of these pieces with no labels at all.  Personally as a collector I like the visible labels so I can show people I have an original Alfredo Barbini piece and they can marvel it. 

tam bam

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 08:24:11 AM »
Excellent piece aslan! It is a lovely colour. If i had known this was on the market aslan, you might have had to pay more for it to win!  ;)

I had my eye on something else though.  ;D

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230400864963&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Sorry. I haven't been up to tech to learn the way everyone alse does it here.  :mrgreen:

I saw this on ebay and thought, this is mine! But thankfully i only paid slightly more than i had anticipated.  :hiclp:

Personally as a collector I like the visible labels so I can show people I have an original Alfredo Barbini piece and they can marvel it. 

tam bam

I tend to think tam bam they did this deliberately. Maybe an ego thing! They did some excellent pieces such as aslans here.

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 01:57:26 PM »
Is that a definite Archimede Seguso label ? on the bottle .

Offline aslan7

• Members
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 03:23:15 PM »
I guess the label stays then. Probably this would be a bigger issue if there were fakes of these Barbini "console" bowls, as they are properly called, but it seems they were made for Weil in various sizes and even shapes. I understand that labels are faked a great deal also.

I did notice that Seguso piece and admired it greatly, especially the green color. Very nice!

rt

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2009, 03:33:26 AM »
Is that a definite Archimede Seguso label ? on the bottle .

Hi JP, it has been mentioned that it could be an import label. I have seen both AS and AF on these labels. AS could be Archimede Seguso (not saying it is) but I don't think anyone knows what AF means. Hence the confusion on these labels. I haven't done any further research into the label myself (if only glass could be my full time job!). Probably will be another mystery for along time to come!

It still hasn't arrived yet! Waiting somewhat patiently for my new green bit to arrive.  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand