No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Four Lobed Bowls with Gold Leaf - Salviati?  (Read 2538 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Four Lobed Bowls with Gold Leaf - Salviati?
« on: December 03, 2009, 07:13:42 PM »
These bowls rather remind me of my miniature Salviati vases (See Thread) in terms of their execution, but with a few differences.

Three of the bowls have random opalescent swirls, have been marvered in gold leaf prior to blowing, and has been entirely cased in clear glass.

The fourth bowl has no opalescent swirling, but it does have pea-moulded optics. It also has the marvered-on gold leaf, but no clear casing.

All four have rough glass to the base left over from the punty rod, and are all around 75mm / 3" tall and 115mm / 4.5" diameter.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Four Lobed Bowls with Gold Leaf - Salviati?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 05:52:37 PM »
I don't know who did your bowls, but they are nice. The mold-blown bodies remind me of some of the things made by Aureliano Toso and AVeM. I searched for some examples and found one in mezza filigrana on eBay (#280412356466). The eBay offering is likely a Aureliano Toso piece. The lines of the filigrana piece are sharper, but I thought you might like to look.

From the price of the eBay bowl, I thought it would be big. :-X
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 06:03:59 PM »
Oh, excellent - thank you so much for that. The dimensions and proportions look to be spot-on, and so are all very possibly from the same mould.

The eBay bowl is far nicer than my quartet - but then I didn't pay anything like that for them.  :o

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 06:14:18 PM »
I don't think anyone will pay anything like that for the filigrana bowl, either.  :spls:
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 06:37:40 PM »
Pricing for Italian glass on the secondary (internet) market always seems incredibly... arbitrary... to me at the best of times, especially the loosely-attributed items with pricetags in the £1000s.  :huh:

I much prefer my Scandianavian comfort zone where most things are signed and fairly fixed in price.  ;D

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 07:06:31 PM »
Some of the stores are very good with pricing, but more are starting to look like crazy folk are running them. The Murano market is struggling right now. Part of it, I'm sure, is the recession. Part is the cycling of the marketplace. I also believe that the overly optimistic pricing that is going on is discouraging people from looking, particularly resellers who like to buy on the internet. From what I see, the Italian glass market has taken a bigger hit than the other countries in the past year. (It seems the American art glass market has actually gone up.)
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand