No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Tiny fragile vase  (Read 3241 times)

Offline Glassyone

• Members
Tiny fragile vase
« on: November 06, 2005, 03:45:16 AM »
I would be grateful for comments about how the colour effects have been acheived on this vase which is very light,  it is only 6cm high and 7cm across.

It seems to have a brown substance applied on the outside just around the base. It has dark flecks in the glass up the body of it and the colour changes from brown to greeny brown then light green around the neck and then a pale blue. The green and the blue appear to glow in the sun and for a while after removing it from the sunlight but that could just be my eyes!
The blue is almost like labradorescence but not quite as pale a blue.

http://tinypic.com/fctqbr.jpg

This looks somewhat darker than it is.
http://tinypic.com/fctrax.jpg

Regards Ruth

Mod: The images from this post have vanished. If you started this thread and you still have the pictures, please let the moderators know so that we can restore them. To add pictures to your posts permanently, the GMB recommends either using the 'attach' facility when posting, or using The Glass Gallery. See the GMB guide to adding pictures to your posts for more.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Tiny fragile vase
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2005, 06:54:18 AM »
http://tinypic.com/fd55si.jpg

It is a chemical reduction process, I'm not quite sure how it is achieved. This example is needle signed RR (back to back so it looks like a little bow) and I have meanwhile found out it is a replica for an early blown glass item in the Israel Museum in Jerusalem. I have the catalogue and it is a good replica. RR is believed to be Reuben Ruvin the glass artist, painter & romanian ambassador - but don't ask me to explain why and how and when.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Glassyone

• Members
Tiny fragile vase
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2005, 07:55:58 AM »
Thanks Ivo, I did not connect this with the 'jug' you kindly told me about a while back. Yours is similar and I think that they are all lovely.
The one shown is one of three that I have bought in NZ but never saw the like of whilst in the UK.
I'll put the other one up tomorrow just to see what you think and will be searching hard for RR on both others now, I could not find it on the 'jug'.
Also I'll try to find out about  the process used to acheive the effects.
Cheers Ruth

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Tiny fragile vase
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2005, 03:47:45 PM »
Ivo, is this the same guy ?
http://www.rubinmuseum.org.il/
Pete

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Tiny fragile vase
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2005, 04:14:22 PM »
as I said don't ask me to explain why and how and when.

Offline Glassyone

• Members
Tiny fragile vase
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2005, 10:15:48 PM »
In researching 'Nouveau' and 'Ilanit' glass I found  this which could relate to this post.
Re Nekkers in Jerusalem, from Frommers travel guide.

'It was this store, near the Mirrer Yeshiva on the northern fringe of Mea Shearim, that revived the ancient glassblowing traditions that began in this part of the world more than 2,000 years ago. The Nekker family arrived in Jerusalem from Baghdad in the early 1950s and quickly set up a small glass factory employing both Arab and Jewish glassblowers. Slowly the factory began to experiment with designs and techniques from ancient times, and has even developed ways to reproduce soft, ancient patinas in a variety of colors. At Nekker's tiny workshop, you are invited to watch the glassblowers at work. Yehuda Nekker, the patriarch and chief designer, virtually dreams in glass. The stock is on sale for a fraction of what it costs in retail shops. A special line of museum-style reproductions is higher in price. The Nekker staff will pack your purchases securely for travel.'

The e-mail link does not work, they don't have a website, no pics and so
 I'll write by snail mail for more info.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Tiny fragile vase
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2005, 08:15:59 AM »
http://tinypic.com/fd55si.jpg   I found the museum catalogue - and have meanwhile found out that this item is a replica from an ancient glass the collection of the Israel Museum.  So that would figure.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand