No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Anyone here know Hobbs glass?  (Read 843 times)

Offline antiques-in-nj

• Members
Anyone here know Hobbs glass?
« on: December 05, 2009, 03:05:31 AM »
Take a look at these shakers and mustard. The Wheeling Peachblow shakers are Hobbs.
But what about the other pieces? They are the same mould?
I never saw these shakers in any other colors besides the Wheeling Peachblow, have you?

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q289/antiques-in-nj/Hobbsshakers1.jpg

Scott

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline antiques-in-nj

• Members
Re: Anyone here know Hobbs glass?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 01:21:03 PM »
In my rushing I did not describe the shakers properly.
The yellow pair are vaseline frosted glass with a white lining and the mustard is frosted cranberry.

Scott

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 08:06:29 AM »
Scott — In the absence of an informed reply here so far, I suggest you consider contacting the West Virginia Museum of American Glass for an opinion.   Here you will find a wealth of expertise, including that of Tom Bredehoft, whose knowledge of Hobbs is unsurpassed.

Please remember that, like this Glass Message Board, the West Virginia Museum of American Glass is privately funded and always needs help with its running costs.   So a donation with your query, however small, will always be appreciated.   And your donation need not be cash — it could be an order for some of their huge range of publications and catalogue reprints, or even just a reply-paid envelope.

... and if you find yourself in communication with Tom, please give him my warmest regards.   We go back some time.   It was through an earlier version of this message board that we were the first to figure out that the Grace Darling boat, far from being the iconically British glass we all believed, was nothing more than a plagiarised version of the Hobbs 101 Yacht Celery!  ;D

... and just what is that lovely piece of furniture behind your glass?   I can make out something like Star"Braid.....

Best of luck,

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline antiques-in-nj

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 01:56:15 PM »
Hi,
Thanks for the input. Its interesting I got these shakers from Tom Bredehoft's son Tom on ebay as a Buy It Now.
When I got them and compared them to the Wheeling Peachblow ones and as suspected they were exactly the same size and shape. In this case even the tops were exactly the same.
Well anyway I mentioned this to Tom when I received them and he said quote

"I was selling these shakers for my parents (who wrote the Hobbs book), but we didn't actually think of comparing them to the Wheeling Peachblow (I do think they have one).  But certainly Hobbs knew how to plate opal on the inside like that, so it seems at least possible that they are Hobbs.
I'll pass along the idea to them"

So I posted them here to get possibably some other input.

Scott

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 05:23:38 PM »
Scott — Sorry about that.   It hadn't crossed my mind that you were eliciting non-Bredehoft opinion.   It's a very small world!   ;D

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline antiques-in-nj

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 06:49:28 PM »
No problem, it is a small world when it comes to glass.

Scott

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand