No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Paperweight Bowl ID  (Read 2992 times)

Offline David555

• Members
Paperweight Bowl ID
« on: November 09, 2005, 03:37:57 AM »
Paperweight bowl of in clear glass of abstracted kidney shape 6" x 7.5", 2.75" high

I have had these before and thought them Murano. On closer inspection it looks as if someone has taken a Scottish paperweight and squashed it, the pastel colours and the canes seem subtle and Strathearn (?) in feel, even though they have been squashed LOL

I have the bud vases and some classic pin dishes, but have only started to notice these - they are of a very high quality and this one has a blue mottled ground for the canes, a flat ground polished base with lots of age ware

Any info appreciated

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/blackcatgla/images/papdish.jpg

Thanks all

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Paperweight Bowl ID
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2005, 08:03:14 AM »
http://www.ysartglass.com/Strathearn/StrST001.htm

More to come when these pages get updated next.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Paperweight Bowl ID
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2005, 01:49:38 PM »
Dishes of this type often really were "squashed" paperweights, at least from a stage when it could be seen by the maker that the wight would not turn out as intended. Converting to a dish or bowl can be an economic preference to discarding the bad weight.

But, for many of the Pin / Nut Dishes and Ashtrays from the earlier Vasart & Strathearn years, I believe the designs were also deliberate.

John Deacons still produces similar items.
KevinH

Offline David555

• Members
Paperweight Bowl ID
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2005, 02:52:59 PM »
Frank & Kev

I knew I had seen the bowl some place, I was in the Ysart site for ages but somehow in my early dotage (sic) I missed it this time

Excellent examples and information, now to go and buy some more as dealer thinks are Murano LOL

Thanks

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Paperweight Bowl ID
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2005, 03:33:23 PM »
Don't get to excited they only fetch good money when wrongly described :twisted:

Offline David555

• Members
Paperweight Bowl ID
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2005, 02:17:16 AM »
Frank LOL

You have a wicked sense of humour ... but you may be right!!

Adam P

OH - this is an iteresting piece I sold a few years ago but (as always) kept the picture, shows great similarity to the Scottish paperweight bowl but is obviously Italian

But these days I would sell it as Strathearn of course LOL

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand