No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: "Rhapsody" and Chribska bowl?  (Read 2804 times)

Offline Bonsaismurf

• Members
"Rhapsody" and Chribska bowl?
« on: December 06, 2009, 08:13:01 PM »
Heya!

Today I went to one of the antique dealers I visit on an almost weekly basis where I've had my eyes on two pieces that I have strong suspicions are Sklo Union glass. Today I decided that I was sure enough to buy them, but I'd be extremely grateful if someone that knows more than me would confirm that they actually are Sklo Union?

Best Regards
Emil

Offline Greg.

• Members
Re: Sklo Union "Rhapsody" and Chribska bowl?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 09:13:15 PM »
Pretty sure the bowl is Sklo Rhapsody

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 10:25:21 PM »
I do not think your first bowl is from the Rhapsody range, usually Rhapsody pieces are made with clear glass and applied prunts or stripes of colour. However, I think it is Czechoslovakian, possibly the same glassworks (Mstisov) and it looks very much like a vase with two heavy coloured vertical 'stripes on an amber body. I think the vase that I am thinking of is in Mark Hill's book Hi Sklo Lo Sklo but I still don't have a copy.

Here is a link to the type of vase I am gibbering on about but this one is a different colour ::) http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,27608.0.html

The base of your blue bowl does look like a Chribska kind of base to me. ;D

Btw, neither of the bowls are 'Sklo Union', the Sklo Union group of glassworks produced pressed glass.

John

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 12:42:14 AM »
I'm pretty sure that the bowl is Mstisov 'Romana' by Hana Machovska, who was obviously very influenced by the 'Rhapsody' line from Zemek. I also agree with John about the other piece, Chribska.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Bonsaismurf

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 08:31:16 PM »
Thanks ppl for helping out! I'm recieving two Rhapsody pieces tomorrow so I can do a side by side comparison, although I'm sure this piece is Romana as you said.

Best regards
Emil

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 06:53:08 AM »
Pretty sure that David is true - this is Romana and Machovska.
See differences at attached picures.

Jindrich

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand