No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Kosta Boda / Vicke Lindstrand  (Read 3813 times)

Offline amoilvetro

• Members
Kosta Boda / Vicke Lindstrand
« on: November 06, 2005, 07:41:04 AM »
Hi everyone

Just wanted to share with all of you - I've just recently (i.e. 3 days ago! lol) gotten into Kosta / Kosta Boda and specifically the works of Lindstrand. And also managed to convert mum to glass collecting! *grin*

We bought a seaweed vase and what I believe to be a zebra vase - please see this ebay auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7311750739
However mine seems to be of a deeper red (I liken it to a good glass of pinot noir or merlot held up to the light!) and my lines seem finer. Can't get a picture or the serial number as the seller will only be sending the items next week. Opinions would be appreciated please! :)

On a related note... what are the most comprehensive reference books for Kosta in particular and Scandi glass in general? Apologies if this has been covered before - I had a quick squizz through the archives but could not find anything relevant.

Cheers
Amanda.

Offline taylog1

• Members
    • 1950's Scandinavian glass
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2005, 09:46:36 AM »
Colours, size and fineness of lines do very on these bits (I seem to remember there s also a very dark variation also) - probably best to wait until you can post some pictures.

Re the books for Scandinavian glass;

20th Century Factory Glass (Lesley Jackson)
Millers glass fact file a-z (Ivo Haanstra)

are both good general books

Swedish Glass Factories Production catalogues 1915 - 1960

covers a lot of Lindstrand's production work whilst at Kosta (there are a few gaps, and there's quite a lot of later Lindstrand now coming to market which I haven't comprehensively seen covered in any book).

I'm sure others will be able to ad their own favourites.

If you're really into this, I'd also suggest keeping an eye on the Scandinavian auction houses (regular modern design auctions), and Ebay, there's enough info there to build up your own reference library over time (and on this latter point I'd recommend Smart Pix Manager by Xecute.com - a NZ firm).

taylog1

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2005, 10:03:58 AM »
I bow to Taylog's greater knowledge, but could I also suggest:

'Smoke & Ice', Scandinavian Glass 1930-2000, by Lorenzo Vigier & Leslie Pina?

I've found that book invaluable.   :)
I am not a man

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2005, 10:28:02 AM »
Agree to the above suggestions. Two more:

Jennifer Opie: Ceramics and Glass in the twentieth Century - documents the whole V&A collection.
William L. Geary - Scandinavian Glass- Creative Energies - I keep referring to it.

Anonymous

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2005, 07:49:39 PM »
I knew I'd seen a darker one for sale somewhere:

http://www.freeformsusa.com/glass/lind1.htm

1/2 way down page.

taylog1

Offline amoilvetro

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2005, 08:48:58 AM »
Quote from: "Anonymous"
I knew I'd seen a darker one for sale somewhere:

http://www.freeformsusa.com/glass/lind1.htm

1/2 way down page.

taylog1

Taylog - thanks for that post - from memory, my vase is almost exactly like picture #19 on that website. Except I'm sure the red is a bit darker :)

Thanks also everyone for the book suggestions. I went to the local library and found Lesley Jackson's '20th Centrury Factory Glass' which is being sent to me as I speak from another library.

I also found a reference-only (i.e. not for loan) copy of 'Swedish Glass Factories Production catalogues 1915 - 1960'... ooh I want it I want it! :)

Am also currently scouting out prices for the Geary, Pina, and Haanstra books as well as Nigel Benson's 'Millers glass of the 50s and 60s'.

What dyou think about Judith Miller's '20th-century glass'? Have it out from the library also but have not yet read it.

Cheers
Amanda.

Offline ChrisH

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2005, 07:51:27 PM »
Nigel Benson's book's a steal on Amazon at about £4  :D (something to get you through until the inter-library loan - they seem to take 4ever!)

Chris
ibraries Gave us Power....

Offline amoilvetro

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2005, 06:53:14 AM »
I have ordered Lesley Jackson's "20th Century Factory Glass" via Amazon marketplace yesterday :) Hopefully it will arrive in time i.e. before Xmas!

Also waiting on my bookshop to deliver Nigel Benson's "50s and 60s" which should take a couple of weeks. Hopefully less.

My Kosta seaweed vase arrived today. As I write it is sitting before my north-facing window (here in NZ our sun comes from the north! lol) and it is backlit by the setting sun. Looks incredible... now need to get it more mates :D

Amanda.

Offline amoilvetro

• Members
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2005, 08:03:49 AM »
Ta-dah! Picture of my vase at last :) Unfortunately it's rather a pedestrian photo as have not quite been able to work out the inner workings of my brother's digital camera :)

Cheers
Amanda.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand