No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Huge Green & Amber Sommerso...  (Read 2785 times)

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
Huge Green & Amber Sommerso...
« on: November 15, 2009, 02:44:30 AM »
Hi, it is just over 15 inches high (38cm), 3 inches thick (8cm) and weighs just over 5kg. Polished base with age related wear and someone actually used it as a vase, hence the lovely marks on the inside  ::). Green & Amber Sommerso. Huge and chunky. Organic form. I haven't seen a sommerso this huge before! Hope you like.  ;D

Offline Artofvenice

• Members
    • http://www.artofvenice.com
Re: Huge Green & Amber Sommerso...
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 04:44:10 PM »
For what I have seen in the last years I can tell you these names, but please consider that there are other 10-15 glassamakers producing similars in the last 25 years.

Giuliano Tosi, Onesto, Signoretto (not Pino, but the brother Silvano), Formia (normally in a smaller size)

Ciao

Alex
www.artofvenice.com

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 08:48:22 AM »
Thank you for some possibilities on this huge and heavy piece of glass alex. Don't think i will ever find out though exactly who done it though.

Offline Artofvenice

• Members
    • http://www.artofvenice.com
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 05:21:48 PM »
I agree.
Often people try to identify pieces that in true are impossible to identify.
When you see how many small studios and furnaces are in Murano, copying each other and most of them with similar skills, you understand that an exact identifiaction of the most common items is really, really hard.

Sincerely

Alex

www.artofvenice.com

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 09:49:45 AM »
I have about 8 of these green and amber sommerso vases. In vary heights. I know they are all made by different makers with vary ages. All with some good age though.  ;D One has 58' World Fair Label, which is unfortunately the only one labeled and all have been purchased from different parts of the world about 6-7+ plus years ago. Been a long time since i seen good one. Besides the Drioli bottle. Which is still stuck in the States!  :cry:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand