No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Update on books re New boy to collecting Murano  (Read 3636 times)

Offline The Brit

• Members
Update on books re New boy to collecting Murano
« on: December 08, 2009, 05:15:27 PM »
Morning one and all,
David and Anita took your advice on the books and went to a half price book shop in the area. You had mentioned Leslie Pina, well for $5.00 a piece  :thup: I found "Fifties Glass" and "Circa Fifties Glass" from Europe and American both by Pina. Both of these books seem to be more dedicated towards Murano glass. Both packed with pictures, information on companies, artists, labels and signatures. Good starters for beginners like me!!!!!

Oh............. I also found, "Italian Glass Century 20" also by Pina, sadly not at $5.00 though :'( this to is a great starter.........
Cheers,
Alan   

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Update on books re New boy to collecting Murano
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 06:22:27 PM »
I can't recommend Pina's Fifties Glass. It is riddled with errors that could have easily been avoided and does not have attributions for much of the Murano content. I own the book, but do not find it useful. For $5 it is not a bad buy, though. I don't know anything about the Circa Fifties Glass. I haven't seen it or heard anything about it at all.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline The Brit

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 06:45:23 PM »
Hi Anita,
There I was thinking, I done ever so well, not such a bad mistake for $5...............What are the error's?
The other book is: 'circa Fifties Glass from Eurpoe and America' by Leslie Pina
A Schiffer Book for Collectors,
Copyright 1997
Printed in Hong Kong
ISBN: 0-7643-0229-9
Appreciated,
Alan

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 07:12:55 PM »
The book is not bad for $5. My books are packed away right now for my move next week, so I'll have to remember some of the problems. There is a Czech Harrtil vase that is called possibly Seguso. There is a Czech cluthra-like vase that is attributed "probably Seguso." There are unsigned pieces attributed to Venini. Two I believe were done by AVeM and Salviati. If I remember correctly, there is a Fratelli Toso vase attributed to Aureliano Toso -- I'd have to look again for this one. There are birds attributed without labels, a few that are apparently wrong. The thing that I disliked most was that many of the pieces had no attribution at all. Just knowing something was Murano didn't mean much too me.  The main thing I liked about the book were the sections on glass made outside Murano. The Murano section is like it was written by someone new to the glass.

I like Pina books in general, but the Fifties Glass is way below her standard. Her books on Italian Glass, Fratelli Toso, and Archimede Seguso are very good.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 07:20:30 PM »
I want to add that I really don't think "possible" or even "probable" attributions are good for books when they can be avoided with a little more work. If an attribution is not known, books are not a good place to guess. Mistakes can be repeated by people who use the books. I understand the use of the words for some types of antique glass that have no records and a distinct style (e.g. old Salviati or Kralik), but I don't see much reason for them when it comes to modern glass. A book should be more professional than that. A good example is the link between Dino Martens and the tutti-frutti pieces (AVeM and others). Miller and Pina mentioned that Martens possibly designed some of them. Possibly became probably over time online, and many people now accept it as fact... even though, according to Marc Heiremans, Martens had nothing to do with the tutti frutti designs. It is a good example of the problem that guessing by authors of books can create.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline The Brit

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 08:43:34 PM »
Anita,
I think they call that Chinese whispers...........................Thank you for your wonderful insight!!!!
Alan

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 10:35:02 PM »
'Circa Fifites Glass' is, I believe, the first edition of 'Fifties Glass.' I've got the latter and I wish I had got it for $5.00! It's best for showing you what you might across that isn't Murano. I agree completely with Anita's assessment. I'm a little bit of a collector of Harrtil glass so I'm rather annoyed that she calls Harrtil Merletto by Seguso, which has led some people to ask (and in some cases) get ridiculous (i.e. more than I'm willing to pay) prices for Harrtil. It just seems so slipshod. Yet there are correct attributions and some good photos there. Now you know the problem areas, it will be a helpful book to own.

David

My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline The Brit

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 11:32:34 AM »
Thank you for your input David,
In the right place at the right time as far as the books were concerned, not so lucky with the Italian Glass though.............. You are probaly correct as far as Circa Fifties Glass is concerned (Copyright is 1997) Fifties Glass (Copyright is 2000). There is a vast difference in the content though. All the knowledge in this society will hopefully limit me to the odd $5 mistake here and there  :ac1:
Cheers,
Alan

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 10:16:18 AM »
Hi David i put a Harrtil Merletto bowl on Ebay early this year ,very low start and didnt get one bid relisted still not one bid it had no damage at all ,  still got it . :huh:jp

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 03:08:49 AM »
johnphilip:

I can't remember whether I had the Harrtil piece already or whether I just didn't notice it. Would you mind sending me an email picture of the piece with your price? I'm looking for a birdbath, btw.

Thanks.
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand