No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Conchoidal fracture (bruise) on Greta Vase  (Read 10821 times)

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Conchoidal fracture (bruise) on Greta Vase
« on: November 06, 2005, 02:44:38 PM »
I think the fault / damage seen on this large Greta Vase is a burst bubble.
I'd like to confirm that and make pics permanently available for future reference at the Glass Queries Gallery generously provided by Anne (Yobunny) http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/thumbnails.php?album=37

Something Frank said in an earlier thread was in the back of my mind when I thought this but reading it again now I am unsure.
In topic Factory Faults Frank said
Bubbles near the surface easily crack and sometimes a hole to small to see even with a glass. Water has much better eyesight and has no trouble finding its way in where it evaporates when warmer with some of the vapour leaving the way the liquid got in. In doing so it leaves behind a deposit of the heavier minerals giving the whitish frosted appearance."

This bubble is entirely enclosed within the glass. No crack can be felt on the surface only a very very slight bump ...possibly. I guess there may be tiny cracks too small to see or even feel.  The frosty area around the bubble seems to me more to do with internal shattering of the glass rather than mineral deposits. The frosy area is not a perfect circle around the bubble.

Frank also said
There is no way to tell if a crack in a bubble was caused during cooling, annealing or after the event.   
I'm not sure exactly what it meant by this but if still refering to burst bubbles then I have the stongest feeling that this particular one was done after manufacture ....probably by me, by leaving the vase on a sunny window still, possibly after washing it.

The vase is destined for a place where it will be much appreaciated desipite this burst bubble which only shows from one side.
Pete

Connie

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2005, 03:07:38 PM »
JMHO Peter - If the bubble is still completely enclosed by glass then it has not burst.  It has the potential to burst as Frank described so moving it where it does not undergo aburpt temperature changes is a good idea.

A burst bubble will either have rough edges - the whole top of the bubble shattered off.  OR - it can have a small hole on 1 surface as previously described.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2005, 03:11:08 PM »
The hole can be microscopic and undetectable.

Connie

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2005, 03:16:48 PM »
Ok Frank  I revise my opinion.  The bubble has not burst in such a way that it is visible to the naked eye  :lol:

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2005, 03:53:43 PM »
So it this is a burst bubble then ?
Pete

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2005, 04:20:18 PM »
Peter I would have to say if the bubble is entirely enclosed in glass then it has not burst yet. Terry

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2005, 06:42:16 PM »
Quote from: "paradisetrader"
So it this is a burst bubble then ?

Probably. There is a slight possibility that the contaminent that caused the bubble is not one usually used that would vaporise completely, as a result it only partially vaporised and left residue - but I consider that highly, highly unlikely.

You could check it out with a 30x magnifier but that might not be strong enough. Put it back in the window and see if when hot the water forms droplets. Hmm winter.

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2005, 07:25:38 PM »
What I absolutely want to avoid is it getting any worse Frank, as it is already promised, so I won't be trying that
I just want to learn something from it before I pass it along.
Looking again more closely with a jeweler's loop I see the whole thing is fan shaped with several fine lines describing the curve of the fan and parallel to that.
Light is reflected particularly brightly from one spot which I took to be the bubble but maybe not, or perhaps a collapsed bubble.
I am beginning to wonder if it is a "bruise", an internal crack, perhaps focussed on a point where there used to be a bubble.
I shall try to get better pics of if in the next day or two, but it's not easy as I have no macro function on my camera which would require a converter to the lens for that.
Also the fault is only clearly visible from the inside as it lies underneath a thick rib in the pattern which distorts it.
Pete

Connie

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2005, 07:55:15 PM »
Peter -

Try putting your camera to your loupe over the area. I haven't used theat technique myself but some others on the AB board used that technqiue when they couldn't get a close enough shot on some detail and the results were amazing.   8)

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2005, 06:54:13 AM »
Would you be able to take precise measurements, height, across the top and number of ridges in the frosted section?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand