No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is the Murano market looking up?  (Read 11902 times)

Offline ardy

• Members
Is the Murano market looking up?
« on: December 08, 2009, 09:58:59 PM »
I have noticed a distinct increase in the number of people watching items I am selling or buying on ebay. There also appears to be an average improvement in prices by about 10-15%. Anybody else noticed that the market for good murano is improving?
Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Re: Is the Murano market looking up?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 11:25:13 PM »
I agree that some types of Murano are selling at an increased price, but I'm not sure it's generally true. I've been trying to think how I would categorize the types that are selling, and I can't. I suppose you could do a statistical analysis. Not my cup of fun. I've also noticed that the starting prices have increased, but the number of pieces selling have gone down. I find that I'm paying either under $20 or over $100. I definitely find that there are far fewer pieces that I can buy where I'm the only bidder recognizing a vague or incorrect attribution. Isn't this the season where business on eBay is at a peak?

I've some Murano that I'll have to sell some time (it's pretty generic stuff), and I'm waiting a while still.

David

My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 11:41:59 PM »
I haven't noticed any consistent trends in the general Murano market. Some weeks are up and then it goes back down. I have noticed that Barovier is selling fairly well, while Archimede Seguso things are still lagging. That could change the moment that I write this.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 12:14:50 AM »
Maybe my observations are as accurate as the global warming scientists have been. My thoughts about this market currently comes under the banner of 'look out the window, it seems warmer outside'.

Will have to apply more scientific endeavour to this analysis.

Archimede tops my list.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 12:53:23 AM »
I forgot to add that Fratelli Toso has been really lagging. There are unbelievable bargains out there. I think that many of the buyers must be new to Murano, so zero in on names they have been seeing a lot lately. I don't know if this is true or not.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 01:07:08 AM »
Hi Anita that doesn't help me. I want the Archimede Seguso market to fall in a heap. :24:

I will track some of the sales closer and try to do a bit of analysis.

Unfortunately most of the ebay market is unpredictable or appears like that. It seems to me to be driven by quality and colour. ie If an item is genuine and it is in a colour that is wanted it seems to go for a fair amount, if the colour is not right it will sell for peanuts regardless of how rare or well made it is. Is that a similar thing to what happens in the US?

regards
Archimede tops my list.

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 01:13:02 AM »
David I agree with you. A 6" latticino plate went through without a bid for $19.99 and the seller just relisted it at Buy it now $120.

There are some odd things happening and my friend who is an antiques dealer reckons the great deals that were around last year have dried up as people are not pressed to sell antiques, they can just hold onto them until the market picks up. May be the same with good glass.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 08:08:38 AM »
I have been keeping a small eye on the murano prices lately. It seems to be all over the place. Trying to figure out 'is this a good time to sell 2 or 3 pieces and put the money into something better' or just wait till things look better financially for people. I have been holding of on selling about 10-15 pieces at the moment (i need the space to collect some other pieces). Plus i find it very hard to depart with what i have now.

I have noticed Whitefriars is a bit down on ebay UK, whereas the Australian market for Whitefriars (which is rare to see the pieces i want), go for prices much better than in the UK, even after currency conversion!

I recently bought two good murano pieces, 1 paid more that i intended to spend (but I had to have it), and the other one went for a song! I was quite happy about that. So it all evened out in the end. :thup:

I agree ardy, i always hope the Archimede Seguso market goes belly up! Spend spend spend spend spend!

Offline aslan7

• Members
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 05:17:25 PM »
I am fairly new to Murano but have been following and buying art glass for a while. It seems that Ebay is an irrational source where misattributions abound, and where good things are often ignored and bad things fetch high prices. Some of the local dealers who sell glass here in the Philadelphia area have not been doing particularly well and are eager to make deals by spontaneously offering discounts and dropping tax. Unless something is really exceptional I refuse to pay collector prices because plenty of good material regularly shows up in junk stores for great prices. I found an old Mandruzato vase for $15 and a nice Fratelli Toso dish for $11 within walking distance from my house! There is plenty of stuff out there to be found and it does not seem as if many people are looking for it.

Finally, being in the art business, I am shocked at how ignorant some local dealers are. I am very likely to get an incredible deal through one of them because they know so little about the material. One has a Barbini "console" bowl that is misidentified as a Barovier. He has a Barbini aventurine seashell with a Weil label priced at $950 while other very unusual items are in the $100 range. A woman down the street told me she was an expert (I always play dumb), and informed me that a duck she had was a "Segmerso," obviously confusing Seguso and sommerso. Yet farther down the street a woman sold me a beautiful mint Fylgsfors Fantasia vase that she insisted was Kosta even though it was very clearly signed on the bottom. Somewhere else I bought a small Flygsfors basket that the dealer swore up and down was Murano, again ignoring the etched signature on the base. This is indeed a strange market.

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 08:24:59 PM »
I have to agree with Ardy on this subject.  I have also noticed that people are more willing to spend more on Murano if the the color is right.  If it is plain and not much color but quality made and signed then it could go for peanuts (which is good for me, because I have picked up a lot of good pieces this way) but I hate that people don't understand the importance of the piece itself and are only looking at the color, but that is just me.  I guess my art teachers in school taught me to look at art in a different perspective and not just by color alone. 

I guess I shouldn't complain though because it really is good for my wallet. 

tam bam

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand