No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is the Murano market looking up?  (Read 11908 times)

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Re: Is the Murano market looking up?
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2009, 06:24:31 PM »
I have a Venini Capellin piece fully signed coming up soon , tonight with one bid  :cry: the opening bid from Italy so we will know if things are picking up . stgeorgio.2007  No reserve

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2009, 08:35:39 PM »
...If I can cram it safely into a 12x12x8 flat rate box it is $13.95, and in that box it can weigh up to 70 lbs domestically (a cheap way to ship your gold bars, silver bullion, or large rolls of lead solder. 

Craig, the problem with the flat rate boxes is that they are not 8" tall. They are about 5". So unless a piece of glass is slim, there is a chance it will be broken. Typical vases with 3-5" bulbs can't be shipped without risking breakage. I find flat rate shipping of limited use when shipping glass.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2009, 12:47:21 AM »
Anita, I thought you would get a sense for my sarcasm......   ;D   shipping bullion and all.... 

I have never used a flat rate box.... They afford little protection.... I have also found when I tried to use one, that it is generally either less expensive to ship it regular priority, or far less money to use FedEx....  They are too small for the types of items I generally sell....

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2009, 09:25:21 PM »
Alison wanted a Seguso perfume bottle about 3.5" tall from the USA. I guessed it would go for about $45 and it went for $90. I have lost out to several serious over bids lately which is a part of why I think the market is going up but only for good stuff.

May have to adjust my bid technique as I have never missed this many bits that I wants, my preciouuuus! I wants it, I MUST have it, MY PRECIOUS!!!!!!!!!!  >:D

Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline sandymae

• Members
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2009, 09:57:06 PM »
my preciouuuus! I wants it, I MUST have it, MY PRECIOUS!!!!!!!!!! 
 :24:
Now thats very good, Murano and Lord of the Rings fan  :24:
 :thup:

Offline glasshunter

• Members
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2009, 05:18:28 AM »
hi, i think things are starting to creep up slow but sure.

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2010, 04:50:38 PM »
In 2000 I met online a marvelous guy, known by many here as Terry from Iowa, who became a very dear friend.  His lament then to a Murano Glass group was that the bottom seemed to have dropped out of the Murano market. He was at that time a glass dealer of some 10+ years standing. Plus ca change

Fortunately glass was not his main source of income and eventually he explained to me that when the market was down he would buy buy buy ready for the upturn. It's a very sound business strategy equally effective in the investment industry, in which I used to work. Buffett, Soros and arbitrageurs of all sorts use it still.

I used to buy fairly frequently from the US and sell about a third of my offerings there. These days I sell more to Europe, Canada, Australia etc. I assumed that was because the US market was so depressed from the recession.

As for buying  ...zero, zilch, nada since USPS hiked those postage rates. I just cannot bring myself to pay them even if the deal as a whole stacks up. Probably just as well as I have way too much glass anyway. At least I do now understand why sellers insist on the much more expensive priority service.

We used to exchange small to medium sized glass items for fun using the old surface mail rate (which the UK still has). I  occasionally come across a box he used to send something to me with a stamp of between $5 to $12 only !!

Terry unexpectedly passed away in Sept 07. I still miss our long skype conversations about glass.
As for Murano or indeed any type of glass, quality will always sell ....eventually....and indeed will probably lead the way in rises when the recovery comes. We have yet to see any green shoots here in UK.
good luck to all
Peter

Pete

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2010, 07:39:40 PM »
It does seem that the Murano market is picking up on eBay and in the stores. The bids have been up on eBay in the last few days and at least one of the stores (mine) have sold a few things. It may be people spending Christmas money or it could be that people are feeling more confident about the economy in the USA.

Now I've probably jinxed it and nothing will sell again unless Punxatawny Phil doesn't see his shadow. (For people outside the US, Phil is Pennsylvania's ultimate weather prognosticating groundhog.)
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline glasshunter

• Members
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2010, 04:04:58 AM »
hi i listed a great bottle vase last week after i saw one go for $125.00 with better pictures better description and lower shipping and ended up at $75.00 us i don't know what happened.  any help? on that one

Offline glasshunter

• Members
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2010, 04:06:22 AM »
i wish i could judge it better

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand