No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: glass "bark" style vases - ID = Avena, Tapio Wirkkala for Iittala  (Read 1940 times)

Offline msiscoe

• Members
Hello, I see these vases listed as Whitefriars, however, they have an uneven mouth and base, which the Whitefriars vases do not. Can anyone identify these?

Many thanks,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150394260204&ssPageName=STRK:MEAFB:IT

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
Re: glass "bark" style vases Whitefriars?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 08:58:27 PM »
I think these ones are scandinavian ??, i want to say Iittala but am most likely wrong ;D. There where lots of companies that did the bark style, i think Ravenhead also did them and i think woolworths also sold them?

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 09:10:57 PM »

Hi,
These are Avena vases, 1970, Tapio Wirkkala design for Iittala, model number 3429. They were manufactured from 1970 to 1989 (I think).

If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline msiscoe

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 09:33:20 PM »
Hello, and thank you for that fast response! These seem to be quite rare. Again, many thanks!

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 04:02:48 AM »
As stated above, they were in production for just shy of two decades. They're one of, if not the, most common of Wirkkala's 'textured' vases on the secondary market.

Even so, a bit of a bargain at $9.99 for a pair - excellent find.

Offline msiscoe

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 12:07:22 AM »
Hello, and thank you, all of you, for your information. Is it common for these to be unsigned?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand