No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Clear Decanter with Cork Stopper...  (Read 6587 times)

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
Clear Decanter with Cork Stopper...
« on: December 12, 2009, 06:57:41 AM »
Can anyone help in id'ing this decanter. Clear glass decanter with a diamond shaped base. It is 22.5 cm tall with stopper in, 12.5cm in length and just over 7cm wide. The stopper is no longer flush to the neck due to the cork (i assume age). The neck has been made separately to the bottle itself and the attached. The body is i assume is mould blown whereas the neck i believe is hand blown. Has great feel to the outside of it and is quite heavy.

I bought it from a Charity Shop for $12 3 days ago along with a Holmegaard decanter i got for $8. The lady in the shop said it may be English but i was thinking Scandinavian. Any help in an ID would be great. It looks like this piece has hardly been used as their is no mould/mildew on the cork stopper.  ;D

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
Re: Clear Decanter with Cork Stopper...
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 07:00:31 AM »
One more pic...

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 07:46:05 AM »
I would also say Scandi the way the body overlays the neck , soooo many people see a rough textured finish and guess W/Fs :huh: :huh: :huh:

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 08:00:28 AM »
That is true JP about Whitefriars! I love the way the neck is applied to the body. I have a Hoglund piece (posted in Scandinavian at the moment) that has the neck applied to the body. Shame this one has no engraved name or label! The textured feel though and look of the piece does say Scandinavian, but thought i would post here just in case.  :spls:

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 09:16:29 AM »
It is not the neck which is applied to the decanter, but a bottle in half post technique. Because the body of a bottle requires a lot more glass than the neck, the paraison is covered in a second layer of glass before being blown out.
The cork stopper with the pierced coin is a typical Scandinavian way of closing decanters. Such items have been made by nearly all Swedish (Danish, Norwegian) glass makers - Skruf jumps to mind for this one.  Often coins were used which allow dating - but sometimes just plain rondelles.

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 09:37:06 AM »
Thank you for more information on the technique Ivo. If it is a Skruf decanter that would make 2 in my small decanter collection. Mods, would it be possible to move this to Scandinavian Glass please?

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009, 10:51:57 AM »
Thank mod... ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum