No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Stromberg B894 Vase plus other similiar...  (Read 3350 times)

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
Stromberg B894 Vase plus other similiar...
« on: December 12, 2009, 02:47:24 AM »
2 extremely similiar vases,one signed the other is not. One is a Stromberg vase B894, 8.6 inches (21.5cm) tall, 3.4 inches (8.5cm) wide and 2 inches (5cm) thick. Pale green sommerso with ground and polished base. The other is unsigned but very similiar. It is 9.8 inches (24.5cm) tall, 3.6 inches (9cm) wide and 2inches (5cm) thick. Both have good wear to the base.

Need some help identifying the unsigned piece. I think it is definitely the better one out of the two. The green casing in the Stromberg seems a little of compared to the unsigned one. Both are very weighty pieces. Any help would be appreciated.  ;D

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Stromberg B894 Vase plus other similiar...
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 09:37:22 AM »
The Blomvase B894 was designed circa 1960 when this type of vase was at the height of its popularity. Who made the other one is hard to tell - it could be Skruf, or Gullaskruf, or even Strömbergshyttan.

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 09:45:45 AM »
Thank you again Ivo. I had feeling the unsigned one was Scandinavian as well. Shame it is unsigned though. I prefer the look and feel of it compared to Stromberg. Although it is a lovely piece. Thank you for the help on production date as well.  ;D

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 03:10:25 PM »
I've had a few of these in the more typical pale amethyst colour by Strömbergshyttan - signed and unsigned . The lack of a signature doesn't seem to be too uncommon for this design.

Edit: Ignore me - I just noticed how different the casing is on the unsigned one, and the slightly different colour. The casing on the ones I've had have been of fairly constant proportions. Your unsigned could well be another factory, in which case.

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 01:23:04 AM »
The unsigned piece has, I think, a better clarity of clear glass and a subtler shade of green compared to the Stromberg piece. Which seems a little more darker overall.

Pinkspoons, were all your Strombergs the same height at 21.5cm? Did you come across one at 24.5cm that was signed? If you can remember or still have information on this, it would be appreciateed. Sorry for the extra questions! But i agree that may be 2 completely different companies.  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand