No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Skruf Decanter...  (Read 3047 times)

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
Skruf Decanter...
« on: December 12, 2009, 04:07:19 AM »
Can anyone help me identify the age on this Skruf decanter. Amber decanter, 24cm high, 9.5cm at its widest. Has Skruf etched very small on the bottom. Very hard to take a photo of. Ground and polished base and very heavy. I know nothing about Skruf except that are a Glass Company. Any help on age would be appreciated.  ;D

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Re: Skruf Decanter...
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 07:18:38 AM »
Leslie Pina says that Skruf, a company in Smaland, Sweden,  became part of the Royal Krona Group that went bankrupt in 1977. But I keep finding things with a Skruf label that were obviously made after then so I think they're still going. Their main designer for a long time was Bengt Edenfalk. This doesn't look like an Edenfalk. I have read somewhere that Bo Bergstrom, usually associated with Aseda, designed for Skruf when both companies were part of Royal Krona. I wonder if this is one of his. That would make it early to mid 70's.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 09:30:55 AM »
Skruf (since 1897) is very much alive, as a quick google will confirm. They were closed 1980-1981 only. Bengt Edenfalk did the designs 1953 to 1978 - I'm nt sure who designed your decanter.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 05:05:16 PM »
Interesting, to me, that it appears to be uranium glass, or is there something green reflecting?

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 01:16:18 AM »
I noticed that in the pic to Ivo.  :-\ I can only assume it is from the flash of the camera and the ugly coloured dirty flooring mats that need a good steam clean. I don't suspect there is any uranium in this piece. I bit of green seems to show on the pic with bottle and stopper on the wooden side board. Could also be a reflection back from that.

Are there any good books on just Skruf Glass that anyone could recommend so i can learn as much about this company and its glass? I am liking the Skruf decanters. I may have 2, if i can get confirmation on the other one.  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand