No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Kosta Erik Hoglund Decanter 1946/270...  (Read 3494 times)

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
Kosta Erik Hoglund Decanter 1946/270...
« on: December 12, 2009, 07:25:51 AM »
Love this piece. Clear glass decanter. Label reads Kosta Sweden Erik Hoglund and engraved to the base with H1946/270. Couldn't photograph it to well as this piece is very dirty on the inside. Almost 30cm tall with stopper, 17cm in length and 6cm wide. The stopper is cork and it is not flush with the rim. This bottle has been used quite well as the cork has some mould/midew on it. I assume the body has been mould blown and the neck has been hand blown as the piece is made in two parts, similiar to the one posted here:

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,30567.0.html

Thankfully the glass panel in the body of this piece is not broken!  ;D

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Kosta Erik Hoglund Decanter 1946/270...
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 09:23:39 AM »
Nice one, pity about the etch damage to the inside. As this is a square section it will be quite hard to polish.
The number does not refer to the year 1946, but is a production number - Höglund worked at Kosta Boda from 1953 to 1973 though his designs may have been in production after that.
The cork is easy to replace.

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 09:33:49 AM »
Thanks IVO. There is no damage to the piece. The inside is extremely dirty and needs to be cleaned and the glare of the flash it sort of looks damaged. I don't think I have cleaned it since i bought it.  :-[ Thank you for the 1946 clarification. I should read up more on the Scandinavian makers. What would the 270 mean though?

I wont replace the cork though. I like that it is original. Even if a little dirty.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 10:42:19 AM »
Ah - I see it is not Kosta but Boda - which makes more sense. The number 1946/270 no idea really - does it happen to be 270 mm high?  And as for etched damage - that cloudyness is not superficial deposit by the look of it, the problem will be more serious. But good luck in cleaning it up.

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 01:11:56 PM »
My mistake as well. The label says Boda. Whenever I think of Boda i think of Kosta.  ::) This piece was made by Boda. I am looking into the cleaning of it to. Am hoping to get it done in the new year. I should have done it earlier. And it is slightly higher than 270mm at 300mm.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 03:04:20 PM »
As Ivo says, the last three digits will refer to height in mm, although this is the 'official' height probably stated in their catalogues, and a little handmade variation is to be expected in the actual piece.

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 01:34:34 AM »
It is 285mm without the stopper and just under 300mm with the stopper. Just to clarify.

As Ivo says, the last three digits will refer to height in mm, although this is the 'official' height probably stated in their catalogues, and a little handmade variation is to be expected in the actual piece.

I agree Pinkspoons.

In regards to cleaning this piece, I think it has two types of damage. Limescale and water damage. Is it best to get a professional to do it or have a shot at it myself? I have read up a little on the cleaning on this but am unsure if I should attempt a task. Am scared of causing more damage to it. It is definitely the dirtiest piece i own. Many thanks

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand