No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: whitefriars trailed ribbon 10 inch vase or not ??  (Read 1079 times)

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
whitefriars trailed ribbon 10 inch vase or not ??
« on: December 14, 2009, 06:26:03 PM »
Hi all
had a fantastic day for glass today (thankfully), picked up a few bits im unsure of though.
firstly there is this "vase" (looks more like a waste paper bin) its a twilight match for colour i think, stands at 10 inches tall with trailed optic ribbon effect which goes all the way from top to bottom (one trail) it can be felt inside and out.
The base has good signs of age wear with ground and polished pontil. Ive checked through the book and website and cant seem to match this shape, the ones ive found are either alot more flared or more rounded at the top
10 inch tall, 7 inch in diameter accross the top.
Ive got a feeling it may well be, it feels right, but if not it was just £4
many thanks
michelle

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
Re: whitefriars trailed ribbon 10 inch vase or not ??
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 08:46:03 PM »
Not sure Michelle, is it applied ribbon trail, with which the trail would be continuous starting at the top with a definite blob where it begins and continuing in a spiral down the vase?  cannot find a shape to to fit, usually flared or swollen cylinder shaped, also the size doesn't quite conform. Not sure how to do TinyURL on here but if you have time check item no. 170403528522 a Ruby 9030 I sold recently the last picture clearly shows how the applied trail starts at the top of the vase, just in case you cannot understand my explanation LOL
Cheers Chris

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 08:52:19 PM »
no i know exactly what you mean, ive seen both examples in the whitefriars book and website
Looking at it closely, no there is no trailing, i think its more likely its part of the mould, infact yes it is definatly NOT trailing, which would suggest not whitefriars i believe... ah well back to the begining
thanks
michelle

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 09:23:23 PM »
I've a similar piece I can't trace it also has a moulded 'trail' type pattern,thought this may have been WF's but was told definitely not,Keith.

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 09:25:06 PM »
have you had a UV light on yours keith ?? looks like you may get a reaction

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 01:12:01 AM »
No uv reaction,8.25 ins and polished pontil,first piece I tried when I got my uv light,been looking for some time to find out where this is from,Keith.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand