No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help to ID amber-flash base, faceted, bouguet - ID = Antique Saint Louis  (Read 2324 times)

Offline cmdg

• Members
I recently bought a paperweight and wish to identify it before selling it.It measures 2 1/4" diameter and is 1 5/8" tall,weighs 7 1/2 ounces.It has four rows of five sided printies (honeycomb,hexagonal),with a ten sided printie on the top.Inside are four flower canes(?) with five green leaves.The base is amber-flashed.The base is slighty concave and has conciderable age related wear around the edge.
I have seen a virtually identical one,online, in Illinois State Museum (item 702346 ; 'lampworked posy miniature'), the only difference is one of the canes is different, they describe it as being St Louis circa 1845-55,can I assume mine is the same?, can anyone give me an idea of what it may be worth?.
I am unable to post a photograph here as I do not know how to re-size my photos,but I could send a photo by email if needed.
Would mine be described as being 'miniature', and from what I have seen the amber flashed base is quite uncommon,will this increase its desirabilty to collectors?.
Thank you!,Chris

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Help to ID amber-flashed base,honeycomb facets,bouguet
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 10:21:46 PM »
Please send pics to me, via my Email icon on the left, and I will resize and post for you.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline cmdg

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 11:44:29 AM »
Hello, that is kind of you.Unfortunately as I have a yahoo address when I click the email icon it will not work for me perhaps you can email me an I will attach photos to my reply?.
My email is greenchris47 AT yahoo.com
Many thanks,Chris

Mod: email address amended to protect against spam harvesting.

Offline justglass.co.uk

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 09:41:28 PM »
Hi Chris,

I received your email the other day but cannot send at the moment.  Your weight is a typical antique St Louis posy weight with an amber flash base.  Hope this helps.

Brian.

Offline cmdg

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 10:09:51 PM »
Hi Brian, yes thats great,thank you very much.I think that I can now be pretty positive about its attribution,I have also heard the same from some other sources,also I saw just one another,almost exactly the same! at Illinois State Museum,online,and given the attribution St Louis 1845-55, it was also amber-flashed,had the same facetting and virtually the same posy.
I guess I have to decide where is best to try and sell it to the collector that wants it!.
Thanks again,Chris

P.S.Thank you Moderator,I had not concidered that problem with giving my email address.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 11:48:48 PM »
For the pleasure of seeing a really good SL Amber Flash Nosegay weight, here are three images resized on behalf of Chris:
KevinH

Offline cmdg

• Members
Re: Help to ID amber-flash base, faceted, bouguet - ID = Antique Saint Louis
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 11:52:42 AM »
Thank you very much for putting these photos on for me!.If anybody is interested I have now listed this weight for sale on ebay,with a few more photos.(item # 280816688761)
Thank you all for your help to identify it.

Mod: Please see Chris's post in Market Place, where the correct eBay number has been given (by me!)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand