No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: help with identification please - is it NUUTAJARVI?  (Read 2167 times)

Offline jakgene

• Members
  • Mrs Doasyouwouldbedoneby
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
help with identification please - is it NUUTAJARVI?
« on: December 15, 2009, 12:54:04 PM »
Hi all. I bought this at a collectors fair a couple of weeks ago because I liked it, but also it rang some bells that I had seen the distinctive shape in one of my books or when trawling glass websites. However since getting it home I have searched without success to find anything like it. what was in my head was Kaj Franck NUUTAJARVI. Can anyone help me to identify it please. It is 16 Cm tall, and just under 12 cm diameter at widest point. Despite the flash making it look amethyst, it is quite a deep dark blue - not cobalt, more navy blue. It has no markings to the base. Thanks - JAK - West Oz
jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass
British Glass, Scandinavian Glass, Murano Glass,
Paperweights. (and anything gorgeous!)

Offline robbo

• Members
  • London, England
Re: help with identification please - is it NUUTAJARVI?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 12:18:13 PM »
Hi JAK -
Definitely Nuutajärvi but not Kaj Franck. The designer is Harry Moilanen, c.1963. He was primarily a ceramicist for Nuutajärvi's sister company Arabia but designed a number of items for Nuutajärvi around that time, including the Harri stemware.
Nice find  ;D
robbo
robbo

Offline jakgene

• Members
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 12:36:54 PM »
Thanks Robbo   :clap: - nice to know!  and by c. 1963 you mean that is when it is likely to have been made??

I am new to scandinavian glass, and know very little about it  - so how do you know this ? Is there a book you can recommend to me ? or particular websites to look at ? any advice will be appreciated! Living in the most remote  city in the world has some disadvantages when it comes to collecting glass - no glass fairs or glass museums to go look at   ;D

Also any idea of value - if it is okay to ask that -( although its not for sale, it's in my cabinet) .  ? I paid Aus Dollars 20 for it. - about 8 pounds

regards

JAK
in Sunny Perth
(but not now - it is dark :-) )

jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass

Offline robbo

• Members
  • London, England
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 07:59:47 PM »
Hi Jak,
1963/4 is the design date I have for this vase. I don't know the exact production period but this particular almost navyish / smoky blue colour would suggest early / mid 60s production.
A good web-site for Finnish glass is http://www.designlasi.com/en—you can either just browse or search by maker / designer etc. You'll find other sites in Anne Yobunny's glass links resource: http://glasslinks.yobunny.org.uk/
There are books / exhibition catalogues specifically on most of Nuutajärvi's better known designers—Gunnel Nyman, Kaj Franck, Saara Hopea, Toikka, Heikki Orvola etc. and also a more general book, published 1993, Nuutajärvi, 200 Years of Finnish Glass (out of print & difficult to find).
As for price, £8 is a bargain  :clap: :mrgreen:
robbo
in London, on a rainy overcrowded island.
robbo

Offline jakgene

• Members
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 03:35:13 AM »
Thank you so much Robbo. I have looked at the website - it is so exciting to see something I own on there! Will keep an eye out for the books too. Have just ordered a copy of Fire and Sea as a starting point.

I have been collecting glass on and off for almost 40 years - got my first piece in 1971 as a (self chosen) Easter present - (a Whitefriars millefiore paperweight - which I still have) - have recently restarted collecting now the kids are grown and the mortgage is gone too. Nice to know I haven't lost my eye!

regards - don't rust in the rain - and Happy New Year

JAK
West OZ

jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum