No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Sommerso ID = Strombergshyttan  (Read 4352 times)

Offline Jurgen

• Members
Sommerso ID = Strombergshyttan
« on: December 17, 2009, 03:50:37 PM »
Hi all.................Does any one recognise the glass house this sommerso came from? Many, many thanks in advance!!...........Jerry

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Sommerso
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 04:00:57 PM »
Strömbergshyttan?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 04:48:50 PM »
Jerry, i agree with Christine,
here is a website for Studioglas Strömbergshyttan , set up in 1987.
http://www.studioglas.se/english/start.html

Cheers
Andy

( Im a little confused whether this is the same company that followed after stromberg or a different
Strömbergshyttan ? )
Edit... i may have jumped the mark here, Ivos book states vases of Strombergshyttan prefixed
with a B, so im thinking this is prob 1960s and different company from website above..
Uh Ivo, help me out, im drowning.............)
 :24:
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 06:16:50 PM »
Strombergshyttan and Studioglas Strombergshyttan are or were two separate companies, Strombergshyttan have ceased production while Studioglas Strombergshyttan are still making glass.

Your vase is by Strombergshyttan, probably designed by Gunnar Nyland in the late 1950s (signature may well be Strombergshyttan B895).

Nice vase!

John

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 09:24:07 PM »
Thanks John,

just what i was trying to say!  :thup:

Andy
 :D
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Offline Jurgen

• Members
Re: Sommerso ID = Strombergshyttan
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 01:47:31 PM »
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, Christine, Andy, and John for all the wonderful help!! You people are great!!................Jerry
BTW, that is a B and the vase is just over 12" tall.   

Offline Bonsaismurf

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 03:56:18 PM »
Gunnar Nylund was active at Strömbergshyttan from 1954-1967. He is more known for his work with ceramics at Rörstrand 1931-1967 and Bing & Gröndal 1925 - 1928.
The B stands for "Blomvas" which means "Flower vase".

Best regards
Emil

Offline rebessin

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Scandinavian art glass
    • Sweden
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 10:49:01 AM »
Hi, must correct the information here.
This vase model B 895, named "Sputnik", is NOT of Gunnar Nylund design. Asta Strombergs stands behind this model for sure. Designed in late 1950s. She started to renew models (drawed by Gerda Stromberg in 1930/40s) in late 1940s and then drawed glass models for Strombergshyttan until 1976, when Orrefors took over leadership and ownersahip. Nylund came to Strombergshyttan 1952 and designed glass for the factory until 1975 (periodically he lived at Strömbergshyttan and periodically he sent drawings). Nylund and Asta Stromberg drawed glass parallel under the years, but i Think Nylund was most active in the 1950s. Later Rune Strand (1960s) and Anders Solfors (1970s) also have designed glass for Strombergshyttan. Under the Orrefors Years (1976 - 79) Gunnar Cyrén drawed glass produced in Strombergshyttan, for example the tableware Allmoge and Herrgard.

Often it is difficult to state designer behind Strombergshyttan glass. They mostly signed with model number, not designers name. This was a legacy of Edward Stromberg who believed that glassmaking was a team work with no one emphasized over another in the production process. But drawings and some input to catalogues state for sure who is behind different models. This one B 895 Asta Stromberg herself has verified she stands behind. She has also verified some other models as Nylund design. fore example B 937, B 930 and B 894. Some models from 1940s and 50s has my father made input to catalogues, with GS=Gerda Stromberg, AS=Asta Stromberg and GN=Gunnar Nylund.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 11:11:22 AM »
Thank you for this excellent information and - as this is your first posting here - I would like to welcome you to the glass message board. I hope you will find it instructive and assure you that you will find a nice circle of people who share your fascination with glass and glass history!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand