No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ARCHIMEDE SEGUSO  (Read 6818 times)

Offline soledivo

• sir. or lord. your higness would be nice
  • Members
ARCHIMEDE SEGUSO
« on: December 19, 2009, 11:14:47 PM »
just a quicky,

when the above has been signed, has it been archimede 1st or seguso ?

like all of you i've seen a few examples but a recent 1 has me confused.
probably me being dense, thought i'd ask.  :chky:
martin

Offline ardy

• Members
Re: ARCHIMEDE SEGUSO
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 02:11:38 AM »
I am always nervous of signatures on A.Seguso pieces as most of them appear to have been put on by ebay sellers.

I saw one online on an exhibition piece with A.Seguso and a date and number that looked like it could have been the real thing. Leslie Pina has an example in her book Archimede Seguso but that may or may not be the real thing.

I have noted the amazing increase in signatures on glass over the last 3 years. It is very bad in my book. >:(

Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline soledivo

• sir. or lord. your higness would be nice
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 03:04:56 AM »
thats what prompted me to ask, the 1 was looking at looked like it had been painted on, out of focus, i gave it a wide birth.
I was interested to see if any of you had seen variations of the signature.
thanks ardy  :chky:
martin

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 06:26:51 AM »
Meant to say Leslie Pina's example is enscibed as 'Archimede Seguso 1952'. The 1952 looks like it could have been done a fair while ago due to how the 9 was written but still it is all a guess. Give me a label any day.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 06:58:31 AM »
Marc Heiremanns in Murano Glass: Themes and Variations has five examples of the Archimede Seguso signature. Two are Seguso Archimede, which he states is diamond engraved on exhibition pieces in the 50's. Three are Archimede Seguso engraved in the 60's and later on "artistic series." So the signature would be very likely to forged if it's on a production piece. I've found Heiremeanns to be very accurate.

Hope this helps.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Youngone

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Murano Glass
    • New Zealand
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2018, 10:05:32 PM »
I bought a lovely Murano black glass bird and am unable to find any information about it. 

Also there is a signature and label on the base which I would like to have confirmed as to whether it is a fraud or not, and if possible what year it was made please?

I'm very new to glass, mostly I concentrate on New Zealand pottery and crockery made by a company called Crown Lynn.

Thanks in advance for any information
Sharon Young

Offline Youngone

• Members
    • Murano Glass
    • New Zealand
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2018, 10:07:48 PM »
Sorry, I put the incorrect photo on the last post.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2018, 12:48:59 AM »
Hi,

I think the label is a genuine label, so the bird was made in the Seguso factory. However, almost certainly not by Archimede Seguso himself as it is a production piece. My sense is that the signature is a later addition.  I don’t think that it makes much difference to its value, though. In many glassworks  birds like this are made by the less experienced workers. They are nice pieces (i’ve bought  more than a few), but not worth a huge amount.

Hope this helps.
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2018, 02:05:36 AM »
Hi Sharon, I agree with Langhaugh, genuine item but not by Archimede himself. Mind you he was overlooking production so it is still of excellent quality.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline Youngone

• Members
    • Murano Glass
    • New Zealand
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2018, 07:34:42 AM »
Thank you so much, very grateful for the info.  We're a small country here in New Zealand and so it was nice to find this beautiful bird, and at a reasonable price.   :)

Regards
Sharon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand