No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Schneider Piece?  (Read 1018 times)

Offline EGC

• Members
Schneider Piece?
« on: December 21, 2009, 06:18:06 PM »
Hello all:

I'm new at the forum, i found it trying to know if a piece of glass i have is an schneider or not.

Well as you can see in the pictures, the vase or bowl is wearing an "A.Delatte" signature on cameo, but i think this is not authentic.
On the bottom it has also the "Candy cane" o Berlingot mark used by Schneider.

Any clue? All the opinions will be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline malwodyn

• Members
Re: Schneider Piece?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 09:23:59 PM »
Welcome to the Board!  Your piece looks nice!  What makes you doubt the A. Delatte signature? & can you tell us anything more about the piece - how long you've had it, where you got it, etc.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline EGC

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 09:40:24 PM »
Hello malwodyn:

Many thanks for answering.

Well, all the Delatte signatures i have seen are loking different, the A and D are linked, and the "L" longer in the lower part...as you can see here:
http://www.great-glass.co.uk/glass%20notes/markd-h.htm
And here:
http://www.stylendesign.co.uk/guidepages/marksdtoe.html

What is making me crazy is the "candy cane" thing.... and that i can't find this decoration pattern as an Delatte or as an Schneider....

I own the vase since a few weeks, I found it in a kind of "flea markert" being sold as a Delatte, but i saw the "candy Cane" or berlingot and though....mmmmmm....may be an unidentifyed Schneider with a faked Delatte signature, the price was more or less ok (as the vase is really beautiful) and i bought it...and i know the seller, he ¡s a french trader and i use to buy from him some french art nouveau and art deco glass....nice pieces and fair prices, so i went on...

But the doubt stays, is a Dellate or a Schneider?

Sorry for my english :-)

Best regards form spain.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 11:36:57 PM »
In Edith Mannoni's book on Schneider, the "candy cane" is described as "a tiny cylinder of blue, white and red striped glass".

The cane in the item being considered has a distinct blue line spiraling around, but connecting at the ends of the blue that can be seen as more of a "shadow". That suggests this cane is formed partly of clear glass with the colour showing through. Is that what the Schneider cane really looks like? I have no idea!

Also the cane is "lobed", as would often be expected when working with a section of filgrana twist - but does that mean it is not a "cylinder" as stated by Mannoni?

Not sure if that helps at all.
KevinH

Offline EGC

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 11:37:05 AM »
Good Mornig KevH.

Well as i far as i saw around the net the candy cane can be longer, shorter, rounded in the corners etc...
The one in my piece has a white background, the clear glass sensation may be for the lighting taking the picture...i add anew one so you see if looks better.

I add some examples, this is why i have my doubts.
The Delatte signature is from a cameo Bowl i own.
The last 2 pictures are from a piece signed "Le Verre Français" + "Candy Cane".

Thanks again in advance.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 05:30:26 PM »
André Delatte was a decorator, also doing cameo. He had his blanks made elsewhere hence the puzzle between signatures. Both are correct.

Offline EGC

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 05:53:36 PM »
Many thanks for the answer Frank.

That is exactly what we were supposing.

Best wishes.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia