No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Broadfield House Glass Museum - the next step...  (Read 24153 times)

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
Re: Broadfield House Glass Museum - the next step...
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2010, 02:58:35 PM »
Hi,

http://www.dudley.gov.uk/leisure-and-culture/museums--galleries/glass-museum/reference

In general it is a poor website for the museum. As to the glass cone page:

http://www.dudley.gov.uk/leisure-and-culture/museums--galleries/red-house-glass-cone

They proudly announce "Since this time the site has remained virtually unaltered and therefore provides a fascinating insight into the history and tradition of glassmaking"   accompanied by a picture where the glass cone is mostly obscured by a dreary shop-like entrance building.

Excellant comment Frank.

Totally shows how darn ineffective DMBC are about promoting what they do have, which begs the question about what they say they will do for the RHC when the collections are conveniently moved into the top floor as they seem to wish. They still have no concept of what they hold in trust as heritage of the locality and for the nation.

It's no wonder that they claim visitor figures are low for BHGM when they manipulate times that visitors have to visit each site to achieve them. Further, even though they rely on their own publicity department to monitor this and other sites on the internet, they have always given BHGM very low priority on the publicity front.

Could this be because they totally misuse public funds to monitor each and every protest that takes place in the borough and use the publicity department's time do anything, but what the public would expect that it's for?

In addition the appaulling signposting for the museum means that, up until the recent publicity gained by our protests even locals didn't know of its existance. They do now though :thup:

But I guess the protest does not want any public duiscussion, sorry to have intruded.

Not what I want to hear from a valued and long-term member of this board. Please carrying on contributing to this discussion. We do need, and value, your support.

Nigel

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2010, 07:05:06 PM »
Course I will Nigel  >:D can't be the devil's advocate without bringing up uncomfortable truths.

My commercial experience of councils is that contracts go to those who pay for them - does not mean that they do no get good deals but the bidders who approach them, in the appropriate manner, are also advised of the price to be beaten. Misuse of public funds might be a difficult accusation to prove but stupidity would probably not in cases like this. From what I have seen and read the Glass Cone site lacks the space, lacks parking facilities and is suffering from serious structural weakness - would it be unfortunate if having completed the move they then have to condemn the structure as unsound. Or would that be the plan? To condemn the glass cone now would prevent the sale of Broadfield House as they would have nowhere else to show a few bits of glass. Once Broadfield House is out of the way then they could get on with eliminating problem No 2. Glass can then go into low cost storage.

It seems quite feasible to speculate that ulterior motives are at work here. Why take a collection that is clearly regarded by an international audience as of the highest importance and use it in jockeying over property deals and savings that would not provide toothpicks for the boroughs staff? Could it be that the councillors resent an intellectual audience from commenting on what to them is probably no more than a bundle of used wine glasses. Do they forget that the people who made that worked their butts of in appalling conditions for working lives often cut short by the poisons they were forced to work with? Cultural heritage is not an elitist concept even if its value is heralded by elitist academics. It is the remembrance of the blood and sweat of the working classes that stoked the fires and gave the area of Stourbridge a place in history. But history is perhaps a poorly regarded aspect for businessmen concerned with short term gain.

The amazing thing is that the group that are pushing for this closure are so thick to believe that people will not see through their ridiculous games - the locals should be looking at them as traitors to their ancestors and make it clear they are going nowhere at the next election.

Having said all of that, I would also like to point out that my commercial and social experience of the council workers that actually do the work, are invariably of a different character! These workers 'really' care for their towns and its people.

I would approach the relevant unions to see if they can get the council workers - whose grandparents, and generations before, work is being so pitifully abused (by a small group that do not believe public opinion as being any more than a pain in the ass) to do their bit in getting this mess sorted out. A council strike would have a lot more impact than can be imagined, particularly one where heritage and not money was at stake. The Dutch are very good at this type of protest, come on people of Dudley show the council members the value of your heritage.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2010, 07:11:01 PM »
Could it be that the councillors resent an intellectual audience from commenting on what to them is probably no more than a bundle of used wine glasses.

Yes.
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2010, 07:21:33 PM »
 ;D

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2010, 12:10:41 AM »

Offline Janet H

• Members
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2010, 01:12:34 PM »
Article in Stourbridge News - Roadshow stars hit out over museum saga

http://www.stourbridgenews.co.uk/news/5005353.Roadshow_stars_hit_out_over_museum_saga/

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2010, 01:56:53 PM »
This is from Graham's original post in January 2009.

"I am reliably informed that Broadfield House Glass Museum is to close in March 2010. I think that this is a tragedy. In my opinion Broadfield House is a national treasure.

I wonder; what can we do? Does anyone else have any information?

Graham"

I have just received from Dudley Council an 8 page leaflet detailing all planned events for the Red House Cone, Broadfield House Glass Museum, and Dudley Museum & Art Gallery for 2010.

Among other things It states:

"One of the best glass collections in the world can be found at Broadfield House Glass Museum in the borough's historic Glass Quarter" The programme of exhibitions for 2010 ends with 20th Century British Glass which runs till the 31st December. It also proudly displays the MLA logo and accreditation status.

While I understand that there is still a groundswell of opinion that states that until phase 2 of the feasibility study is completed, the future of the museum remains unclear, the fact remains that the campaign to prevent the closure in March 2010 has been an unqualified success. It is not closing in March 2010 and it's programme of exhibitions suggests it will survive the election year.

I heard recently that it seems that Phase 2 of the feasibility study has not yet in fact commenced. Phase 2 is likely to be a costly and time-consuming exercise. It would not surprise me if it was some time before it went ahead, if at all. However, that is conjecture on my part, and perhaps wishful thinking.

This is probably a good time for reflection, to allow new ideas for securing the future of the museum and its collections to come to the fore.

Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2010, 08:16:27 PM »
I received the same booklet this morning Adam, and came to the same conclusion as you have.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2010, 10:45:45 AM »
It's even better than you thought, Adam and Anne.   On the previous page there is a Broadfield House exhibition running until 27th February 2011.

I wonder how many Dudley Councillors have read their own booklet?

And, more to the point, I wonder how many Dudley Councillors have visited Broadfield House Glass Museum?

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Janet H

• Members
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2010, 07:07:10 PM »
NEWS ALERT!

Hot off the press - Broadfield Video on line now!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOIn9UIW_qY

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand