No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Just picked this up on Ebay!  (Read 7053 times)

Offline tam bam

• Members
Just picked this up on Ebay!
« on: December 23, 2009, 01:24:20 AM »
Hi everyone and Merry Christmas!  I was doing some Christmas shopping for myself tonite and played a little Santa for myself and found these lovely plates!  What do you think?  I hope Ejean9 will appreciate them since they seem to come in their original box.  The box is not as fancy as hers but at least it is a box.  I thought that is still hard to come by these days.  Anyway, I thought I would share. 

tam bam

Ebay # 300332182589

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Re: Just picked this up on Ebay!
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 07:10:30 AM »
Lovely plates! I read this just after posting about Archimede Seguso signatures. The label is from the 80's, so it's definitely genuine Archimdede Seguso. I wonder if they added the signature because it was bought in Murano.

It's a good week to A Seguso. I bought a little dresser jar advertised as B & T despite its Seguso label. Also, got a couple of nice little AeM bowls, and an FT bird. Then I spoilt it all by buying a Chinese vase advertised as Murano but which the one fuzzy picture convinced me was Czech. At least postage was low and I only paid $8.00 for it.

Enjoy Christmas with your new plates.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 12:26:28 PM »
Thanks David,

I'll be honest.  I am not the best in the world with Archimede Seguso pieces but I thought for the price I could afford to take the hit if they turned out to be fakes.  I knew the labels looked 80's as well and the box looked authentic enough but I'll have to do more research into the sigs when they come in.  I saw these plates about a year ago on Ebay and were going to buy them but didn't and when I thought about it again they were gone.  I thought someone else had bought them (they were offered by the same people on Ebay).  I told myself If I ever saw them again I am going to snatch them but I thought they were long gone because that was when the economy was really hurting and everyone was buying Seguso at really low prices but last night was my chance. 

tam bam

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2009, 07:07:20 PM »
Rats! :cry:  I just received the Archimede Seguso plates today and the seller put peanuts in the shipping box but did not secure the plates inside the Seguso box so they were floppying around and the blue plate is shattered beyond repair.  It was really sad because as it turnes out yes, they are the real thing!  These plates came from the Archimede Seguso furnace bacause it hase the pamplet like Ejean9 has in it and everything! :hiclp:  I was thrilled to see it but sad to see the mess but at least the yellow plate is salvaged so not all is lost.  I wish the other one was also still in one piece but I guess you can't win them all. 

tam bam 

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2009, 08:25:03 PM »
 :'(

Nothing worse than the sound of broken glass. I lost a shipment of big birds when I was moving. The box had taken quite a blow and was accordion like on both ends. I wrapped them carefully, but unfortunately not well enough. I know how you are feeling. I hope the seller makes it right with you.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline glasshunter

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 05:12:20 AM »
hi, i mentioned i had these in a post  i have 2 boxes with 4 colors just like those. thanks Bart

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 04:44:33 PM »
hi, i mentioned i had these in a post  i have 2 boxes with 4 colors just like those. thanks Bart

Hey Glasshunter,

You wouldn't by chance be interested in selling one of the boxed sets would you?  If so let me know.  I sure do like the sets and would like to have another if possible if you are interested let me know.   Click on my name and e-mail me if you are interested. 

tam bam

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 07:05:45 PM »
Sorry to hear about the broken plate. It seems so avoidable. I hope you get your money back and are successfu in getting a replacement.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 09:12:56 PM »
Thanks David.  I did get everything worked out with the seller so everything is A-OK on that end but I just hate that a perfectly good Seguso piece is shattered beyond repair in the mean time.  I will keep my eyes peeled for a replacement dish.  That is the risk you take when you mail order though.  Some sellers just don't think when they pack glass. 

tam bam

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 12:20:48 AM »
Hi David your quote 'Then I spoilt it all by buying a Chinese vase advertised as Murano but which the one fuzzy picture convinced me was Czech.'

Now I am a suspicious bar steward by design and I have been caught on this ruse or more like 'I don't really know what I am doing' poor photo con. I suspect the worst, as there seems to be more of these poor photo's in a time when excellent camera's cost little.

Tam Bam - Any loss of an Archimede Seguso piece impoverishes us all.
Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand