No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Thin blue glass pitcher and tumblers - ID = Polish  (Read 3033 times)

Offline dorian_graye

• Members
Thin blue glass pitcher and tumblers - ID = Polish
« on: December 24, 2009, 04:53:03 PM »
Can anyone help identify the maker of this pitcher set by the color of the glass?  The glass of the tumblers is very thin and delicate.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thank you!

Offline dorian_graye

• Members
Re: ID PLEASE: Thin blue glass pitcher and tumblers
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 11:13:21 AM »
I'm very surprised that no one has a single comment to make about this pitcher and glasses.  Oh well. :huh:

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 02:13:22 PM »
dorian,
its a bit quiet on here this week!
Possibly something to do with the date!  ;)
Everyone has their nose in a new glass book, at the sales, or snoozing on the sofa
 :D
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Offline dorian_graye

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 03:04:20 PM »
LOL!  Thanks Andy.  I appreciate your concern.

Offline Sue C

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 04:03:26 PM »
Hi, i cant identify it by the colour but i have hade the same shape glass in smokey grey with a gold round sticker and bold black italic wording "made in Poland"
Very light weight, hope this helps, but i could be very wrong about yours.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 06:53:45 PM »
I have a large blue pitcher,different shape but very much the same colour, which I believe is from Poland,similar handle if I remember right,will go and dig it out and have a look,Keith.

Offline dorian_graye

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 02:32:19 PM »
Thanks for your replies.  I guess I am unfamiliar with polish glass.  I will have to research mid century glass from that area.  I always hope that people come up with concrete evidence for things like this, otherwise I tend to be skeptical.  Oh well.  Issues need to be worked out.

Maybe somebody will post something in the future that will put my mind at ease.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 02:52:16 PM »
Krosno, in Poland, made hundreds (if not thousands) of different pitcher/glasses sets throughout the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s that were derivative of Scandinavian æstheics and mass-produced. Even in their current catalogue they have designs clearly "inspired" by classic Danish and Swedish stemware.

Most brightly coloured jugs and glasses to be found on the secondary market are of cheap post-1970 Polish origin.

Of course, if you're frustrated by the lack of information on a particular niche in glassmaking you could always do what many on here have done, including myself, and start investigating it properly yourself.

Mod: slightly amended.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand