No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Arques vase or better?  (Read 1806 times)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Arques vase or better?
« on: November 07, 2005, 02:25:20 PM »

I just could not resist this textured vase at 45 Eurocents.  Height is 13 cm/ just over 5"; the underside has an embossed fleur-de-lis. Crystal d'Arques?

Mod: Pics vanished, may be replaced at a later date

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Arques vase or better?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 03:04:19 PM »
I saw this Ivo and thought about it and then got lost and/ or distracted - not unusual. It reminds me of Terry's mushroom vase somehow.

Do you know for sure that the fleur-de-lis was used by Crystal d'Arques as a mark in the glass ? Or just a guess ? It certainly suggests French as a glassmark but I seem to remember a thread here about the Fleur de Lys as a symbol being in more widespread use than one would imagine.

Were it not for that I would guess Scandi or Czech and probably the latter but style can be misleading.

Is the glass a bit yellowish or just my imagination ?
For a mass maker of pressed glass Crystal d'Arques quality has been quite good as far as I know, at least in terms of clarity.

From the style I would guess late 60s or 70s but again style can be misleading.
Pete

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Arques vase or better?
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 04:00:37 PM »
Hi Peter
I have no reason to believe that Arques has ever used the Fleur-de-lis, but somehow I don't thik this item is Steuben either - so I jumped to the largest French glassmaker by default... call it blatant speculation.  
The colour is clear and bright, not yellowish, and the sound is high and dull - so I think it is semicrystal.
And the design turns out to be quite discreet. I just spent 15 minutes looking  around wondering where I put it... it just blended into the background and became invisible.   8)

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Arques vase or better?
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005, 07:00:48 PM »
Stevens and Williams has a fleur-de-lis mark.
http://www.great-glass.co.uk/glass%20notes/markn-s.htm
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Arques vase or better?
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2005, 11:04:26 AM »
In 1880 S&W used the fleur-de-lys without letters. They are the only one of several to have used it on its own - in Hartmann.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand