No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help please in the id of this please  (Read 2183 times)

Offline andy666

• Members
Help please in the id of this please
« on: December 29, 2009, 02:51:50 PM »
I have been asked to post this on here to see if you are able to help me id this stopper from a decanter as it has millefiore canes in the stopper ( any help would be gratefully appreciated ) thanks andy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline andy666

• Members
Re: Help please in the id of this please
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 04:12:21 PM »
What i actually meant to say is will you be able to help me identify the canes in the stopper as this could help me id the decanter ( and again any help will be much appreciated )

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 05:51:32 PM »

Hi.  Those are 100% Whitefriars canes, and it sounds like one of their products as they made decanters with millefiori in the stopper.

Regards, Alan.
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 07:25:27 PM »
If you look around the edge of the base you may even find a sandblasted Whitefriars mark , it takes a lot of finding but some of them do have it , i have owned one for several years it still takes three minutes to find the mark , they acquired the sandblasting machine just before they closed .jp :thup:

Offline andy666

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 07:50:23 PM »
I have had a look round the edge and cannot see a whitefriars cane sandblasted ? So do not know what else there could be done to id this ?

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 10:37:31 PM »
As Alan has said, the canes in the stopper are definitely Whitefriars (pre-Caithness). John's comment about a sandblasted mark is unlikely to refer to a "cane", but the Museum of London book, "Whitefriars Glass" seems to make no mention of what type of mark it could be.

No question about the ID, unless by chance somebody has put a Whitefriars stopper with another company's unadorned bottle.
KevinH

Offline mjr

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 10:19:51 AM »
This stopper is whitefriars and should be with a bottle about 6 inches high with a similar cane design in the base using the same colours. This is the profile of the stopper that was used in the "ink bottle" design. I am surprised that it doesnt have a signature/date cane in it. There may be one in the base canes.

This stopper should not be with a bottle without canes. Although Whitefriars did issue decanters that had a millefiore stopper with a plain (but ornately cut) base these stoppers usually have a proper faceted paperweight profile and the decanters are 12inches tall.

The sandblasted mark that jp refers to is one that sometimes is shown on bottles and on weights (for example the clear glass 1972 olympics or 1977 royal wedding) and it consists of a tiny (as in less than 1/4 inch) version of the white friar - ie a monk with a hoodie.   

Would be interested to see the bottle part.
Martin

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 11:12:48 AM »
Sorry Andy its not a cane it just says Whitefriars and a small piece of the monk sand blasted into the very edge of the base . these seem to be the only modern pieces with the mark i asked the ex technical dierector and he remembers the machine arriving shortly before W/Fs demise . I own one and have seen two others with the mark it is a real task to find it if it is there . Have just read Martins piece , sorry Martin thats wrong they are a standard size whisky decanter with star cut base some have the stopper like the one of andy some have a thick disc stopper as shown in the big book with a picture of Geoff Baxter the designer of them .

Offline andy666

• Members
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 01:38:51 PM »
I have tried to look for the monk but i am unable to find it , but i will keep trying to find it !

The stopper fits perfectly in the decanter , so if it has been married together they have done a good job .

Here is the picture of the bottle with the stopper and also the base of the stopper for the canes.

Offline mjr

• Members
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2009, 09:26:12 AM »
Nice.  The decanter does look right - i have similar square shaped one so I would be confident is saying they are an item. 

I think I was assuming that the stopper was smaller than it is and thus linked it to the inkwell. Also, in my defence I think the P1 weight shaped stopper is not so common as the 5&1 facet cut.

This is the problem with posting whilst at work - not fully concentrating and not being able to check against mine!.

Also the advantage of this board - if you get something wrong there will be someone to correct you!   

If I think on and get my daughters new camera, I'll post a shot of mine for comparison.
Martin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand