No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: My Christmas Present  (Read 3556 times)

Offline ardy

• Members
My Christmas Present
« on: December 30, 2009, 10:49:35 PM »
I have put a ban on Alison buying me glass as presents because she was taking advice from an antique dealer friend of ours and he frankly knows less than I do! :spls:

However she bought this early in the year, prior to the ban, and I really like it. I have no idea who made it but it is unusual enough for me to want to keep it.

All ideas would be very welcome. My suspects are AVeM or Seguso VdA but with these ashtrays it could have been anyone I guess.

It is 130mm wide x 50mm high and weighs 950g. Sorry team I have given up on conversions too much chasing around, you are all internationally aware sophisticates who understand the size and weight of this anyway I am sure.

regards
Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
Re: My Christmas Present
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 01:43:19 AM »
Without the little notches for cigs to rest in I would call it a bowl.....    ;D

Now just so I am sure I get this right, there are 10mm in a centimeter and 100 centimeters in a meter and 39 inches in a meter so 10 cms would be 3.9 inches which means that 130mm would equal 13 cm so it is (3.9 inches + (3.9 x .3) 1.17 inches) 5.7 inches wide and about 50mm or 5 cms or one half of 3.9 inches or 1.95 inches tall. And it weighs in at, if I remember correctly there are 1000 grams in a Kilo, which is 2.2lbs, so it weighs in at (950/1000= .95 Kilos) or (2.2 x .95 ) about 2.09 lbs.....  is that right??????    :24:  so is that why you gave them up????  conversions that is......

Let's just say it suffices to say it is a nice little bowl.... It is interesting that the upper lip is clear. At least it appears that way in the photo....   with the lower body being colored.

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 08:22:26 AM »
Without the little notches for cigs to rest in I would call it a bowl.....    ;D

Now just so I am sure I get this right, there are 10mm in a centimeter and 100 centimeters in a meter and 39 inches in a meter so 10 cms would be 3.9 inches which means that 130mm would equal 13 cm so it is (3.9 inches + (3.9 x .3) 1.17 inches) 5.7 inches wide and about 50mm or 5 cms or one half of 3.9 inches or 1.95 inches tall. And it weighs in at, if I remember correctly there are 1000 grams in a Kilo, which is 2.2lbs, so it weighs in at (950/1000= .95 Kilos) or (2.2 x .95 ) about 2.09 lbs.....  is that right??????    :24:  so is that why you gave them up????  conversions that is......

Let's just say it suffices to say it is a nice little bowl.... It is interesting that the upper lip is clear. At least it appears that way in the photo....   with the lower body being colored.

Craig

Thanks Craig now you know why I have abandoned conversions........... Goes down to shed and gets old inches ruler and scales with both measures on it. 5" x 4 1/2" wide (Not round due to rolled lip) 2" high and weighs 2Ib 1 3/4oz. Clear bullicante on top and aventurine on the bottom. Roughly 2/3rds Aventurine.

Maybe your head works better than mine but your width is out about .7/5.0 = 0.14 or 14%. Could well be that I will have to continue making trips to the shed??????

Archimede tops my list.

Online Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 12:06:33 PM »
Hate to upset you boys but as it was most likely made in Italy it would have been made to metric measurements not inches, so you really should be measuring your Murano metrically  :24:

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 12:15:05 PM »
To make it easier, there are 2.54 cm in an inch. So you can convert from cm to inches by dividing by 2.54. And to convert from mm to inches, just divide by 25.4.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 02:11:51 PM »
Aren't you guys over there ever going to convert to inches and make it simple for us Americans?????   :24:

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 02:46:04 PM »
I don't know why Americans are so opposed to the metric system. The math is so much easier -- multiples of 10, instead of multiples of 8, 12, and 16.

But I put my foot down on converting to the euro. It seems to me that countries that have the euro as their standard cost more than other countries. I like dollars and pounds.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline dirk.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2009, 03:00:32 PM »
Craig, you surely mean we should go back to inches, which was one of the popular
measures until the 19th century here and varied from region to region. (~2.6 - 3.7 cm)
See ´Längenmasse´ - ´Zoll´ (=inch):
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alte_Ma%C3%9Fe_und_Gewichte
I´m sure there will have been different measures in Italy, too. Let´s say the bowl is
4 1/3 farfalle (dry not cooked) wide and 1 2/3 farfalle high for example. Sorry, I don´t have
my rigatoni-measure at hand right now.  :chky:
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 04:57:33 AM »
Nice bowl ardy, have not seen one like this before in that shape! Has the rim been pulled in? From the pic it looks like it has or is it just the photo?

And thanks for using the metric system, converting from inches to cm is a royal pain!  :24:

Why are people disdainful of these bullicante bowls? I can't figure it out.  ::)

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 06:39:20 AM »
Hi Kane - hope you had a good Christmas/NY.

Yes you are right it does have a pulled rim on one side.

I must admit I am also a bit disdainful of these bowls mainly because they seem to be the bread and butter of a new collection as there a quite a few around. I think we have got about 10 of them in the house most of them A.Seguso but some that are in the 'who the hell knows' category that this one might fall into, if nobody has seen the form before. I certainly have not seen one that is split like this one.

I do admit that although the metric system is a lot easier for us in the rest of the world, it must be hard for Americans to visualise the size in their heads, therefore:

100mm = 4"
200g  = 7oz

this might also be useful to others here. http://www.worldwidemetric.com/metcal.htm

Archimede tops my list.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand