No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: carlo moretti satinato or repro?  (Read 19276 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: carlo moretti satinato or repro?
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2010, 05:43:35 PM »
I'm not sure this helps but after the recent discussion I went and had a compare to a few of my other satin glass pieces.  This piece is  different in finish.  It is satin glass but has a very slight iridescence to it.  I have taken a couple of photos to try and show this.  All my other pieces are very matt and flat really compared to this which really 'lives'.

Offline dorian_graye

• Members
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2010, 05:47:06 PM »
giggles @ "lives" 

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2010, 07:54:36 PM »
My decanter also appears to have a slight iridescence to it. I think it is why it is sometimes attributed to Loetz on eBay. The iridescence is so slight that I couldn't figure out if it was my imagination or if it was real. I don't know if the iridescence was intended or if there might be some impurities that create the effect.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2010, 10:45:31 PM »
Checking on dates first. I thought Carlo Moretti opened in 1958 and Munich was 1966, which at least sets some parameters for labels and dates.  Anyone know what pieces were entered in Munich? I seem to remember it was the satinato with lattimo interior but I can't find any pictures. All the lattimo ones I've seen have coloured bases (when they have bases).

Is the base on flying free's piece domed or fairly flat?  I'm attaching a photo of the base of mine. Is it the angle of the photographs or are the bases different? I asked if anyone seen a Moretti label on a pure coloured piece, but perhaps I should also ask if anyone has seen a Moretti label on the vases (and only the vases)  with the clear frosted bases?

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2010, 11:24:33 PM »
Hi David
It is my photos which make it look wonky ::).  The foot is domed, not a HUGE dome but slightly domed nevertheless.  It is 3" wide and is a bit wider than the bulbous bit of the vase (in your photos your's looks as though the foot is very slightly narrower than the widest bulbous bit of the vase??).
Oh, and it has a ground rim, the rim at the top of the neck, not the edge of the base as it were.(at least I think that's what you would call it, I am useless with terminology :spls: very flat rim)
It is not coated lattimo.  
I have been searching other pictures and found one where there is a close- up and the slight iridescent finish look the same as mine.
many thanks to all for taking the time to discuss this, it is really appreciated and I am learning a lot.
m

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2010, 12:21:14 AM »
Checking on dates first. I thought Carlo Moretti opened in 1958 and Munich was 1966...
David

This probably means that Jerry's 1959 date was the correct one for the decanter. Thanks for finding this info, David.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline carolglass

• Members
    • Napier New Zealand
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2010, 01:44:31 AM »
Just to add to this tread-not satinato but here is a pair of powder blue opaque vases with the Moretti label ,26cm (10 1/2 ins) high, base of 7 cm (2 3/4 ins) slightly domed. So flying free compare all the pics and make a jugement call. regards Carol
Carolglass

Offline post modern nut

• Members
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2010, 01:46:28 AM »
I just checked, we have 7 of them, all have a clear foot, though 2 of them do not have a acid finish.  They probably made them is an assortment of combinations.  Of the 7 - 4 are blue, 2 yellow and 1 red.
Jack
If you use it, someone designed it.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2010, 03:47:30 PM »
The more I look at all these pic's the more I think mine is not Moretti,any opinions,please,Keith,

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2010, 10:20:47 PM »
Keith,
With regards to your piece, I'm just wondering, is there any point contacting the company to clear it up for once and for all? Are they approachable?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand