No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: carlo moretti satinato or repro?  (Read 19278 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: carlo moretti satinato or repro?
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2010, 12:18:05 PM »
Just adding more thoughts and pictures.  Carol I took on board your challenge of making a judgement call :)
and thank you so much for the pictures of the glossy vases example.  I think the shape of my green one is very similar to yours although a different size.

Today I bought another of these vases sold as Carlo Moretti unlabelled though.
It is 10" high and has the uncoloured frosted foot.  The green is 12" high and has a same coloured foot.
In my humble and inexperienced opinion, looking at them both together, and having now looked at around twenty or so examples in different  colours labelled and unlabelled on the net, they are the same maker.

I have however, not managed to find a single example that is 12" tall as my green one is.
Most are 10", 14" and 17/18" on all those I have found.

There is something very different about this satin effect on both these pieces, to all my other pieces including the orange jug which I believe is  very good quality.  
I bought three vases (different shapes)two of which clearly labelled 'Made in India' so I could compare the satin effect and finish and it is vastly different.  
There are some differences between the two 'Moretti' vases but the differences, I think, are minimal.  I have seen a number of variations on the shape of the 'bulbous' bit of the vases and these two are slightly different from each other, the green being more onion shaped the blue more round. But then I have seen both represented on labelled pieces on the net.
 In DK Judith Miller's 20th Century Glass book, there is a yellow one that may or may not have a same coloured foot (on the website I seem to remember there was also a yellow one but with an uncoloured frosted foot so I'm not sure if the book one is this one or another).
So my judgement call is that they are the same maker and I believe they are Carlo Moretti.  But I could be wrong :)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2010, 12:21:32 PM »
more pics

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2010, 01:28:35 PM »
Just found an Orange one  ;D 14inches.
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2010, 02:22:47 PM »
gorgeous aren't they?  I have a few now - my orange one is 18 inches ;D  ;D  ;D
not that I'm competing or anything :angel:

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2010, 09:42:46 PM »
In the interests of closing this topic with a definite id (and at the risk of flogging it to death  ;D)  I have completed what is probably my one and only piece of research on glass, given the expense involved in showing this.  I now have a number of these vases.

Recently I found the vase in pic number one.  It has the label shown in pic number two.  I have compared it and my very first vase with the same colour foot (pic number 3)  and there is no doubt whatsoever in my mind that the vase with the same colour foot is Carlo Moretti.
My other vases are different colours and varying heights and all have clear feet.  There is one difference between them and the green ones, they all have slimmer necks proportionate to the bodies.  But I am certain they are all Moretti.
m

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2012, 01:44:13 PM »
Does the panel think this lovely jug is a Moretti piece??
Cheers
Andy

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2012, 02:50:59 PM »
Hi Andy, lovely ewer but I'm not sure  :-\ is it possible to take a pic without it being backlit?  that way the surface finish and depth of colour may be more apparent.

Just in the interests of detail, I've now had/got quite a few of the pencil neck vases and there is definitely variation in the pencil neck width, some are narrow some are wider, it's just a function of them being handblown I guess.

m

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2012, 09:19:18 AM »
I think the finish is similar to the other ones ive seen, try these.
 :sun:

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2012, 11:26:42 AM »
Andy, it looks remarkably similar, however I just remember when researching mine, I came across another maker who also did Satinato pieces.  I'm sure it was on the Fossilfly forum and it was a labelled piece - I'm just trying to find the thread at the moment.
m,

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2012, 11:31:16 AM »
found it - Aureliano Toso was the other maker, so that may be a possible to explore as that was a decanter.  But did not have the clear as well as the colour - although it was missing it's stopper so may well have had a clear stopper.
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand