No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: carnival glass dish with horse head  (Read 5131 times)

Offline RAY

• Members
carnival glass dish with horse head
« on: November 07, 2005, 10:47:23 PM »
i've no idea about this sort of glass, it measures 7.5" across and about 2.5" high, it has a clear glass foot and around the horse is a greek key design and the rim is wavey, the colour is orange bit of a bad rushed photo

cheers Ray

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2005, 12:21:09 AM »
Diamond Glass "Pony" Pattern according to Miller's "Collectables Price Guide 2004".
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2005, 05:47:02 AM »
Dugan, not diamond.

http://www.ddoty.com/pony.html

From David Doty's carnival site.

Note, they have been reproduced by LG Wright from the original mould! Doty says: "These reproductions are particularly difficult to tell from the originals as they are made from the same molds and not marked. Sometimes, as shown here, the iridescence is very shiny and metallic looking, but some are very well iridized."

http://www.ddoty.com/newpony.html

The repros are more shiny and metalic looking.

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2005, 07:52:37 AM »
It's fairly unlikely that you would find a repro "Pony" in the UK...having said that, there is one dealer that I have seen at some big fairs with a lot of new Carnival (at big prices) - and he does have some repro Pony plates, but they are very pricey.

The old Dugan/Diamond "Pony" bowls are found fairly frequently in marigold. However they are much less often seen in amethyst and are consequently more desirable (and often very lovely).

From what I can see on your photo Ray, I would say you have a Classic old example. The Wright repros do not have the depth of iridescence that the old ones possess.

Note that L. G. Wright did not actually make the Pony items. Wright owned moulds and had glass makers "pour" the glass for him.

Currently, Gary Levi (Levay Glass Distributing) owns the Pony mould and is having a number of Limited Edition items made for him. I have both ruby and vaseline opal examples which are most attractive. There are being made by Mosser. These items are not being made in the "old" colours (to the best of my knowledge).

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand