No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Goblet  (Read 2476 times)

Offline ardy

• Members
Goblet
« on: January 05, 2010, 12:26:34 AM »
A friend of ours bought this goblet that it is claimed came from the estate of a large retailing family in Sydney called the Horderns.

I am not into this style of glass at all and he would appreciate any input you can provide.

It is approx 120mm tall and has a silver band around the stem.
Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline keith

• Members
Re: Goblet
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 12:41:23 AM »
The metallic inclusions remind me of some Italian bowls I've seen but that's about all I can say,someone will be along soon and let you know,Keith.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 02:17:18 AM »
Salviati late 19th-early 20th Century. It is a very good goblet with good value, so I know you will love it more now. Gorgeous!
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 06:46:58 AM »
Salviati late 19th-early 20th Century. It is a very good goblet with good value, so I know you will love it more now. Gorgeous!

Thank you very much Anita. You are a well of information.

I passed on the good news and he is delighted. He has had other Salviati bits over time but will now sell it on as he paid $50 for it and there could well be a profit in it for him.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 06:11:37 PM »
It's absolutely stunning!  I have never seen anything like it.  Thanks for sharing and I am glad Anita solved the mystery. :thup:

tam bam

Offline Artofvenice

• Members
    • http://www.artofvenice.com
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 05:20:13 PM »
There is a very, very similar cup but with a dragon on the side by Salviati (1880) in the Zoppi collection  (ref. "I colori di Murano '800" pag 142).
The color combination and the tones of avventurine are the same, also same thickness and "touch" (may be same master glassmaker too?), so I agree with Anita about producer and date (Imho better end of 19th century).
Similar pieces are in the Murano glass museum too, in the 4th room.
My only doubt/question is about the "avoglio" (the connection point between stem and cup).
The thickness is correct, but It looks as painted with a kind of gold enamel. Not an usual gold leaf, but a solid enamel, never used in this way in these kind of classic glassworks. Or it is a metallic ring???
May be I don't recognize properly this strange detail from the photo, but at my eyes it looks as something wrong.
I'm just supposing a realistic answer: it may be that the goblet was damaged and restored? May be also a long time agoo?
That solid metal/gold color seems as not part of the original work....  :huh:
Sincerely

Alex
www.artofvenice.com

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 06:47:24 PM »
You have a good eye, Alex. I personally wondered if the whole stem might have been replaced. It is not the stem I would have expected for the goblet. There are so many pieces I have not seen, however, that I did not know.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 10:16:24 PM »
Thanks very much Alex

I only had a look at it for 30mins and it seemed to be silver (marked sterling) with worn gold plate. It maybe a replacement but it didn't appear like that to me although I bow to your superior knowledge, as it isn't mine it is not so important.

Pity there is only the one, as a pair or a dozen would be nice. Then it would have been possible to compare them.
Archimede tops my list.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand