Glass Discussion & Research. NO IDENTIFICATION REQUESTS here please. > British & Irish Glass

some more davidson jade

(1/3) > >>

Paul S.:
something from lunchtime today  -  and surprisingly almost 100% translucent, as you can see from the pics., perhaps it was a poor batch.   Unfortunately, I don't do too well recognizing which designs some of these Davidson Jade pieces are - so wud be very grateful if someone is able to tell me which pattern No. this actually is please.    Diameter is a tad under 11".     Incidentally, I don't see the 'M' or 'W' on this one, just the 'MADE IN ENGLAND' on the base.   Appreciate the help, and thanks for looking  -  oh, and it was £1.99 ;D    Paul S.

Cathy B:
Is that a No. 20 bowl? What an amazing colour!

David E:
Certainly not like the Jade I know, of which I have a few pieces. But for more details on Davidson's shapes, Chris Stewart's web site is the one to visit:

www.cloudglass.com

Or http://www.cloudglass.com/jade.htm for the Jade page.

UPDATE:
I would concur with Cathy that it is No.20: http://www.cloudglass.com/flower3.htm - originally made as a 3-part flower set. Sizes are never that accurate and I have come across slight differences between the same item.

Paul S.:
Cathy and David -  thanks for taking the time to reply, and yes, you are both apparently correct - I shud have picked up on the Stewarts' page showing varieties of three piece flower bowl sets.  Obviously, rushing again! - I saw only the page showing the list of Jade pattern Nos. and quantities made.    So - 608 sets (excluding seconds) manufactured  -  makes you wonder how many are left now  -  and in the intervening years how many have been dropped, lost or simply 'binned' as old fashioned!    Like you, I was intrigued at the extent of the translucentness(?) of this piece  -  I have several other pieces of Davidson Jade, but none that are quite this 'thin' in colour, but I think we can definitely say it is Davidson.    Since I don't know what method was used to manufacture these bowls (there are no mould seams), difficult to say why there shud be this variation in size  -  but certainly mine is almost at the 11" mark.    I wud dearly love to have the dome and plinth to make up the complete set, so must keep looking for them.   Personally, I like Jade, and oddly this translucent effect is quite appealing.     thanks again for your help.     Paul S.

Paul S.:
David  -  forgot to mention that - re our phone conversation before Christmas, re the book  -  at your suggestion I called Broadfield House, and pleased to say they had two or three copies left, so now have mine.   What is the long term view re the supplement  -  will it get into print eventually??    cheers    Paul S.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version